Select to view content in your preferred language

s123 Connect UI

Jump to solution
07-06-2023 09:13 AM
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Hey there, 

Quick question, RE: the "refresh" icon on the upper right corner of a given survey when in S123 Connect (see attached), can someone explain to me exactly what triggers this to occur?

I have a published survey in AGOL (not public), and I've updated a few of the values in the hosted service that supports the survey.  Now I see the icon in S123 Connect.  

There hasn't been any changes to the survey. 

Is this giving me a false indicator that the AGOL and the local copy of the survey is out of sync?

Thanks for any info.

Regards, BKS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you change anything with the settings of the hosted service or survey form? For example, changing who has permission to view the results?

Changing the attribute data itself for a record shouldn't cause that refresh icon to show up, but changing any kind of setting, domains, etc. will as far as I know. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you change anything with the settings of the hosted service or survey form? For example, changing who has permission to view the results?

Changing the attribute data itself for a record shouldn't cause that refresh icon to show up, but changing any kind of setting, domains, etc. will as far as I know. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

@Katie_Clark I think you are correct.  I did in fact turn the edit tracking off, made an edit to the Creator field and turned it back on.   This is more than likely what triggered it.  Thanks for pointing that out.

But what I'm trying to understand better is when it should concern me?  Should I re-publish or download from AGOL?  In this case I don't think I need to do anything, correct?

If I were to change the access to the survey from the S123 website, do I need to re-publish or download the survey?  I guess I just don't see why there is a need to synchronize local and AGOL copies when the changes I'm making don't exist on both sides?  or is there something I'm just missing (this is likely the case)?

Cheers, BKS

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Yup, that would do it! I guess I would say best practice is to just click refresh, I don't think it could hurt anything.

An example I can think of for wanting them to be in sync is viewing permissions - i.e. if you have the inbox enabled in Survey123 Connect, but then in AGOL you disable access for users to view other people's submissions. There are many other examples I'm sure but that's the first one that comes to mind. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

I too do not feel settled when the refresh icon is there but often I choose to re-publish since I know I didn't change anything in the survey. 

Why does the local s123 Connect version of a survey need to know whether the permissions like "only being able to see/edit your own submissions"  have been changed in AGOL.  Isn't the permission info managed (except for things like Sent folder and Inbox access) from AGOL and/or S123 website collaborate tab?  Why does local Connect version need to be refreshed if refreshing the survey does not change anything in local Connect version? 

Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

BKS

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is probably just checking the last time the service was updated vs what you have on the PC.  I doubt it digs through every change to filter some out.  I do not think that it even tracked.  It just knows the dates do not match.

0 Kudos
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Even if the date/time is different, what would downloading (refresh) the survey do to synchronize things with local copy of survey?  It's not like you're downloading the service to your local survey.  And you can't use the web based tool to edit a Connect published version of the survey (meaning there shouldn't be any survey edits made on AGOL that need to be downloaded).

It would would not surprise me that you are correct and it's a rather blunt test performed.  Clearly it's there to help within something, but it would be nice to know what's going on so we can take appropriate actions, or not.

Even better, make the "refresh/download" icon a dismiss-able notification.  

Thanks for your input.