Select to view content in your preferred language

s123 Connect and feature layer views

Jump to solution
08-24-2023 11:27 AM
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

I am looking for some clarification for when I want to share a survey. 

I have created a survey using s123 Connect. I mimicked creating the two feature layer views that would have been created if I had used the s123 website, but am I still getting this warning message when I go to share the survey:

VanessaSimps_0-1692901014399.png

Following the link in the warning message, I find the following:

"The way sharing is enabled varies depending on where the survey was published. If the survey was created and published on the Survey123 website, a hosted feature layer view named SurveyName_form (previously named SurveyName_fieldworker) is created, which controls editing access to the survey's feature layer. For surveys created in Survey123 Connect, the survey's feature layer is shared."

Do I need to point the survey to the feature layer view some how?? or do I not worry about the feature layer views if I am publishing from Connect? I get why the views are helpful, but I don't understand how to get everything linked together and how to set up my sharing properly so I don't get these warning messages!

Thanks in advance,

Vanessa

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

I have created a survey using s123 Connect. I mimicked creating the two feature layer views that would have been created if I had used the s123 website, but am I still getting this warning message when I go to share the survey:

Creating the views isn't enough. Your survey needs to target them.

If you created 'from an existing service' and chose the view, the survey will align with that.

If you created a survey, then updated the submission URL to the view item ID, it will target it but there's a chance some remnant metadata may linger at a survey item level from the original service. I've seen it do things unexpected but it's generally fine.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123withexistingfeatureservices.htm#...

If your submission URL points to not your view, then your views aren't doing anything. 

To fix this:

1. Ensure your Survey123 Connect XLSForm submission URL item id is that of the view, or update it
  2. Ensure your original feature service is not shared, and the view is
  3. Check your view settings to ensure your editing/read permissions are what your fieldworkers should be doing.

If the above is correct you can disregard the survey123 website warning.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichelleWilliamsERM

That warning is letting you know that you SHOULD create a hosted view for your hosted feature service; it's a safer option than letting folks have access to the Hosted Service itself. 

I don't remember how the software knows, but I think if you create a view and share the view, then unshare the hosted service, you should get rid of that message. (If you get stuck, ping me)

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Creating the views isn't enough. Your survey needs to target them.

If you created 'from an existing service' and chose the view, the survey will align with that.

If you created a survey, then updated the submission URL to the view item ID, it will target it but there's a chance some remnant metadata may linger at a survey item level from the original service. I've seen it do things unexpected but it's generally fine.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/survey123withexistingfeatureservices.htm#...

If your submission URL points to not your view, then your views aren't doing anything. 

To fix this:

1. Ensure your Survey123 Connect XLSForm submission URL item id is that of the view, or update it
  2. Ensure your original feature service is not shared, and the view is
  3. Check your view settings to ensure your editing/read permissions are what your fieldworkers should be doing.

If the above is correct you can disregard the survey123 website warning.

VanessaSimps