Run multiple instances of Survey123 (to speed up data collection)

05-24-2022 06:02 AM
MarkWilkinson1
New Contributor II

We have a collection of three surveys that we ask workers to use to create an inventory of public safety control measures at a given site. Control measures include signs, fences, gates, booms, barricades, etc. As the worker walks along, they will come upon different control measures that require them to switch between surveys.  This means that they have to close the survey they are using and then load the survey they need to use.  If all three surveys could be open concurrently, the worker could just switch between the surveys and a lot of time could be saved.   We are using Windows tablets, but I think this issue applies to Android and iOS as well.  I have tried using the Windows Sandbox to create a virtual environment so a 2nd instance of Survey123 can be opened and this scheme works but it is rather complicated.  I have to copy all the Survey123 folders associated the executable and the surveys into a temporary folder that exists only a long as the virtual machine is open.  It would require the worker to be very careful with the use of the copy of Survey123 running in the virtual machine to avoid losing all data collected during the session.

Are there any other ways people have come up with to streamline the use of multiple Survey123 surveys?  Is there a plan to add such a capability to the product at some point?

20 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I really think I did it before but I just tested and its weird.

If I do a simple one like this it works for me

<a href="arcgis-survey123://?itemID=507ff4ee69b84e0eb2f2db541323e5f2">Launch Form</a>

But as soon as I add a field push like this arcgis-survey123://?itemID=507ff4ee69b84e0eb2f2db541323e5f2&field:PointID={PointID} it just shows as text.

If I try to encode the URL I get a link but it will not launch anything.

I am not sure what is going on here really.  If you do not need to pass a field though it should work.

Maybe someone else knows how

0 Kudos