Restaurant inspections pulldata() source table

12-20-2016 12:01 PM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Greetings,

I am working on a restaurant inspection form for our health department.  In discussions of what the form would look like it was mentioned that it would be handy to enter the permit number and have the header info pre-populated (establishment name, address etc.). I was able to get this to work in a test environment using the table of restaurants but after reading this blog by JTedrick-esristaff I see that it isn't wise to use a table that is updated frequently.  Our table of restaurants will be updated somewhat frequently. 

My question is this - Is this a deal breaker? Can I still use my table but time the updates so that the inspectors will have the most up to date table and not lose any of the inspections they have done?

Thanks,

Jeff Ward

Summit County, Utah

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If the only thing you are doing is update the attached table, then there won't be any removal of surveys from the 'Sent' box.  I would advise your inspectors to ensure any surveys in the Outbox are submitted, but there shouldn't be an issue in updating the survey (note: the survey can be updated in place; you do not need to delete the survey to update it).

JeffWard

Do I update the table by republishing the survey? I thought republishing the survey wiped out the associated feature service and related tables.  The table is a csv in the survey folder.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
HamidYunus
New Contributor III

Jeff, I recently did something very similar. A couple of questions for you first though:

1. Are you assigning the restaurants inspections to individuals/inspectors? How is the work assigned? 
  2. What is the frequency of updates?

As for your question "In discussions of what the form would look like it was mentioned that it would be handy to enter the permit number and have the header info pre-populated (establishment name, address etc.)."

I agree that this information should be pre-populated. That is what we did in our case. 

Attached is a very nice XLSform that I had prepared for my project and I bet you can use it as a starting point for your work. It already has all the info - business license number, name, address - organized in lists to facilitate a nice survey for you. It also includes validation and constraints. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. 

P.S. I created my lists as External Choices since I've a large number of businesses (over 5K) and the Choices worksheet couldn't handle that large of a volume.

AllisonMuise1

FYI: The State Gov't  Solutions team has a Restaurant Inspections solution that may help: Restaurant Inspections | ArcGIS for State Government 

JeffWard

Thanks for the tip Allison. I have downloaded the solution and deployed it using the ArcGIS Solutions Deployment Tool to test it out, but I was hoping for more detail rather than just a field noting whether the restaurant was in or out of compliance. We want to keep track of individual code references and score the inspection based on the severity of the code violation (priority, priority foundation, and core) and be able to show all violations with corrective text and notes on a public facing map. Survey123 makes this possible through relevance tests and selection lists and calculations.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah