"Search, or Find function for Calculation

12-08-2017 11:39 AM
MarkBennett
Occasional Contributor

Dear all,

I need to calculate for a field based on the position of a substring in another question. It should be similar to the SEARCH("search string", "String Value", start position) in Excel or Find function.

I need to do a "auto-fill" for a field using a substring in a provirus question. I need to find the numbers of starting and ending position for the "substr" function.

Thanks!

Ming

Tags (1)
11 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Miing,

Unfortunately, there is not a function to search of a string and return it's position in the XLSform specification.  We are looking into ways to support additional functions beyond the XLSForm spec - this request is similar to https://community.esri.com/ideas/14267 (the ability to parse is the same need for variable length substr)

MarkBennett
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for let me know!

Ming

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Kudos
MarkBennett
Occasional Contributor

Is there any update on this function in the new release?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ming,

We are working on this tentatively for our March release.

RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

JTedrick-esristaff‌ did this make it to the 2.7 build?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Renato,

We have not quite finalized the feature; it is, however, available for testing; documentation is in the Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
MarkBennett
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

I downloaded the 3.0 Alpha. However, I cannot find the documentation on the use of this function. Could you help me locate the usage of this function?

Thanks,

Ming

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ming,

The appropriate document in the Early Adopter Community is Welcome to our Feedback Community .  If you have questions about the functionality, please post in the Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James

I've now got a similar query - did this functionality ever make it to S123 and if so what is the function called?

Thanks,

Tom