Putting the same geoshape into repeats

12-09-2022 01:35 PM
JacquelineHernandez
New Contributor

I am creating a survey where the user makes a polygon shape in the field and then adds species they see inside the polygon. I have to use a repeat in order to write in their observed species and the percentage of cover this species takes within the polygon. I cannot predict the names nor number of species that the user might see, so I can't just make a multiple choice list and have people note presence and absence

However, using the repeat function creates a table in Survey123. However, I need the attributes to be part of the feature layer. Therefore, I believe the solution will be to put a geoshape question into the repeat. 

I do need to reference the same polygon each time, but I cannot figure out how to get Survey123 to recognize the first polygon drawn, and copy it for each repeat.

Please let me know if you can help me with the last statement in particular, or if you have any other ideas for how I can get these key attributes (species and percentage) to show up in the feature layer instead of as a related table.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Rami-Alouta
Esri Contributor

Hi @JacquelineHernandez ,

This could be a bit of an overdue reply. Yet, I stumbled across a similar issue with polygon repeaters and I thought it's good to add the solution here. 

To accomplish a similar work flow where my aim was to calculate the geometry of a polygon in a repeater with the parent feature geometry in case the user checked that the feature being collected is entirely within the main feature. I approached this with 2 visible geoshape questions with a relevance statement configured and a bind::esri::fieldType null. Then I configured a 3rd hidden geoshape question that populates the answer of the relevant previous 2 geoshape questions. 

There is one trick here that is worth mentioning is that my xlsx form is configured to submit data to an existing feature service.  This approach was mainly used because I had to pre-create and publish a feature service with two related polygon layers. You can find the link for that one in the settings of the attached xlsx form. Here is a link from Esri Ireland on Designing Related Records in ArcGIS Pro for use in ArcGIS Online

0 Kudos