Select to view content in your preferred language

pulldata() working in Survey123 app but not in web browser

Jump to solution
04-07-2023 01:45 PM
DanielRaleigh
New Contributor II

I am currently using Survey123 Connect (version 3.11.123) to build the forms and Survey123 (version 3.17.68) to submit data, with Firefox and Microsoft as web browsers.

I have been referencing the workflow of Ismael Chivite (Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: pulldata("@layer") and have built a Survey123 form which utilizes pulldata() functions that link to a feature layer (hosted) with multiple polygon layers and uploads data to an attached feature service (hosted). The form utilizes an embedded map that's loaded within the Survey123 app on the tablet in which a user can place a point. This geopoint is referenced in the pulldata("@layer", "getValueAt") functions to draw in attributes from the various polygons under that point which successfully populate the appropriate fields on the Survey123 form. Once the form is completely filled out, the user can submit the record and everything processes smoothly.

I want to set up a similar workflow with a web-based Survey123 form. I have copied the successful Survey123 form in Survey123 Connect and have tried to populate the fields with the same workflow on the web. The referenced feature layers, hosted feature service (submission_url) and variables do not change. However, the web-based Survey123 form does NOT populate fields, even though the pulldata() functions are still referencing hosted feature layers. Although I can add information manually to successfully submit records, this negates the reason for using the pulldata() functions. I have confirmed that all maps, layers, feature services, and forms are properly shared with my network, and I haven't seen anything online which explicitly mentions that Firefox or Microsoft Edge browsers affect the workflow or that the pulldata() function is deprecated in a browser.

As an aside, I've set up a separate Survey123 form within Connect that will automatically load the latitude and longitude values from the geopoint on the web-based form, but still won't load information from other feature layers with the pulldata() function.

If anyone else has been able to successfully utilize hosted feature layers with the pulldata() functions on a web-based Survey123 form, I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions that you have.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

3.11 is a very old version of connect. You should really be on the latest version always.

Pulldata for layers was introduced in 3.16 connect. Per this blog post, they don't expect it to work in the web app unless it was published with 3.16 connect or later.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-pulldata-quot-laye...

Upgrade connect to latest version, republish your survey, and let us know if it still has issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

3.11 is a very old version of connect. You should really be on the latest version always.

Pulldata for layers was introduced in 3.16 connect. Per this blog post, they don't expect it to work in the web app unless it was published with 3.16 connect or later.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-pulldata-quot-laye...

Upgrade connect to latest version, republish your survey, and let us know if it still has issues.

0 Kudos
DanielRaleigh
New Contributor II

This was the solution, thank you. I had overlooked the update cycle of Survey123 Connect. Once the software had been updated, I republished the form and the web app worked as expected by populating the appropriate fields.

CharlottePeters95540
New Contributor III

Thanks. This worked for me as well. In my case, pulldata worked in the desktop app ver 3.18, but not the mobile app ver 3.14. Updating the mobile app to the current version fixed the issue.

0 Kudos