Publishing Survey that uses nested Related Tables

07-13-2017 01:28 PM
AaronThompson
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am using Server 10.5 that is non-federated.

I have a feature class(Substations), which is related to another feature class(Equipment), which is related to a table(Inspections). When creating a survey off of an existing feature service( which contains all three items above with the method listed in this documentation: How To: Create Survey123 for ArcGIS surveys that connect to non-federated ArcGIS Server services), I only have the first two feature classes put into my table. I am wondering if it is possible to have multiple nested related tables in a single survey?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. While you can have multiple repeats within a survey, they cannot be nested. At this moment, Survey123 supports only one level of repeats.

AaronThompson
New Contributor III

In my situation, there are several types of equipment in substations that will need to be surveyed, along with inspection forms for each type of equipment. Can i have multiple related tables to a single parent feature class in Survey123? for example: A Substation feature class, with relationships to circuit breakers, transformers, etc. that are all separately related to the Substation feature class, but not nested into each other?

Also, is there a timeframe for when multiple levels of repeats will be supported by Survey123?

Edit: Is there functionality to edit nested related tables in Collector?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Aaron,

You can have multiple related tables within one form. We use this during data capture of endangered species surveys that we perform. We record site information in one table, weather data in another table, and species vitals within another. Just remember that when you setup the repeats, that you can specify name of each related table by naming the repeat what you would like the related table to be named.

Not sure if you are interested, but one of the many cool features that we are utilizing is the use of repeats with a geopoint location within the repeat. What this allows us to record multiple locations to be in a separate point feature class that contain attributes, but is directly related to the main survey question through a relationship class.

It sounds to me like you could possibly set up a form that referenced your substation location as a point; or possibly "edit" the substation polygon attributes, and use some additional repeats that uses "groups", "pages", and "relevant answers" to activate different asset inspection forms and even gain the location of that asset for the form.

So, your form could have questions about general information for the substation that you would normally collect. Then you could have a select one or even a select multiple question that asks what commonly found asset(s) will be surveyed. Then the answers would make certain related/repeated form/tables available for data input. Then you could collect the location of each asset at the same time, which in turn creating point feature classes that contain attributed data for each asset.

ichivite-esristaff‌ is my logic correct for Aaron?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, but one other possibility is to use the custom URL schema to push some attributes from the substation form into other survey forms that would then utilize the submission URL to submit data to the related tables for each substation feature.

Essentially, you could create the schema in ArcGIS desktop that would contain your location feature that contains each of the related tables, post to your server as a feature service, then create Survey123 forms that would match the related tables schema, and use the submission URL to submit data from the form into the related tables.

0 Kudos
AaronThompson
New Contributor III

Mike,

Thanks for the help, along with the detailed examples, I appreciate it!

What I'm trying to do now is publish a survey that allows repeats of related tables (multiple pieces of equipment, horizontally organized, not vertically), without gathering any data from the substation parent feature class. Is this possible? If I have multiple types of equipment in the same survey, with repeats, I get the error when publishing that says:

The custom feature service submission url is not compatible with this survey(Parent relationship Electric_Facilities not found for table Battery_Bank)

Ideas?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Without seeing your database schema, it sounds as though the form is looking for the established relationship between the parent and the child.

Here are some assumptions:

1). Your database schema is the Substation feature with a bunch of related tables that pertain to each type of asset found within the substation?

2) You are attempting to allow for a user to enter multiple assets at one time within the related table?

3). You want the data to populate out in columns instead of rows for each asset type within your related tables? Meaning, that you would rather have the data populate new columns instead of new rows when being submitted into the table.

Are these correct assumptions?

What did you use to create the forms? Web based or Survey123 Connect? Which version are you using?

0 Kudos