Publishing failed: Field Length is too short 20

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 08:30 AM
JordanMiller4
Occasional Contributor III

I created a new survey using a Feature Service and I am getting the following error when I try to publish the survey. I assume the error is asking me to add additional characters to the field name but if I do that it won't capture the data back to the correct field.

Error:

The Custom feature service submission url is not compatible with the survey (Field ODERCOMPLAINTNUMBER in NEO Gas Leak length is too short 20.)

Img attached:

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jordan,

The error indicates there is a mismatch between the length of characters allowed to be submitted and what the existing feature service can support.  When creating a survey from an existing feature service, Survey123 Connect will normally write those values in the bind::esri:fieldLength column.  As Phil suggested, looking at the REST endpoint (also called service URL in the ArcGIS Online/Enterprise web UI) will provide the appropriate values.  

View solution in original post

12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jordan,

What is the exact field name, type and length when you check the existing feature service rest endpoint? Can you take a screenshot of that?

Can you also please share a copy of your xlsx form so we can take a closer look. I notice that you have duplicate fields names in the name column, which is also not supported.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JordanMiller4

Hi Philip,

I've attached our form below. Thanks!

0 Kudos
EricBitner
New Contributor

Did you ever solve this?  I am having a similar issue.

Mine says:

The custom feature service submission url is not compatible with this survey

(Field traptype in sitelocations length is too short 3

0 Kudos
JordanMiller4

Hi Eric, I haven't found a solution. Hopefully someone will come across this post and help us.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Jordan,

The error indicates there is a mismatch between the length of characters allowed to be submitted and what the existing feature service can support.  When creating a survey from an existing feature service, Survey123 Connect will normally write those values in the bind::esri:fieldLength column.  As Phil suggested, looking at the REST endpoint (also called service URL in the ArcGIS Online/Enterprise web UI) will provide the appropriate values.  

EricBitner
New Contributor

James,

I see in the service URL where is states length as 3 (the error I am receiving when I try to publish the survey.  The survey publishes correctly but fails when I add a choice_filter.  How is the choice filter affecting the publishing?  The filter works and limits the choices on Survey 123 Connect but as mentioned it will not publish when the choice filter is applied.

Here is the choice filter: 

filter_value=${commodity}
0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Eric,

It appears that Survey123 is not properly reading the field length - can you manually set that to 3 in the bind::esri:esriFieldLength column?

ShawnRoberts1
Occasional Contributor

Hi James, I have kind of a similar question. I have a select_one that seems to have set the default value to 8 characters. I'm assuming that came from the max length of the choices available, as I never originally set it. This worked for round  1 of the surveys. 

However now I need to add in more options that are longer than 8 characters, and when I attempt to publish I get the error that the field won't support the new length. I've tried setting the bind:fieldlength to 255, but that doesn't seem to work and still gives me the error. 

(form with binding length set)

(Error)

Thanks,
Shawn.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Shawn,

You are right about what most likely occurred.  Unfortunately, the field length is not alterable once published.  What you can do instead (using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Pro):

1) Add a column to temporarily store the existing answers

2) Calculate the values in the existing choice column to the temporary column

3) Delete the existing field

4) Add a new field with the same name

5) Calculate back the existing values from the temporary column to the new column

6) Delete the temporary column