Problem with public survey

04-05-2018 05:49 PM
JamesMacKay3
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I’m new to Survey123 and trying to set up a survey with five requirements:

• It must be public, no AGOL credentials required
  • It must be able to collect data in the app while disconnected, submitting it later
  • Users should not be able to see other users’ submissions
  • It must contain a photo
  • It must contain location

I haven’t had any luck with the public aspect.  Despite reading this blog post and other doc, changing feature layer settings, trying steps in different orders, whenever I attempt to submit data the app asks for AGOL credentials.  Perhaps what I’m trying isn’t possible but I think it’s much more likely that I’m just overlooking something.

After authoring and publishing the survey, I go to the main feature layer’s settings and set them accordingly:

• Editing: “Enable editing.” Is turned on, the other three settings are turned off.
  • What kind of editing is allowed?:  Add features
  • What features can editors see?:  Editors can’t see any features
  • What features can editors edit?:  Disabled
  • What access do anonymous editors have? The same as signed in editors
  • Export Data: False

I then went to the field worker service and where applicable made those settings match, then from the Collaborate tab in Survey123 made the survey available to Everyone (Public).  When I attempt to submit a survey from the app, it still asks me for AGOL credentials.  (I also tried making the survey public first, then changing feature layer settings.)

If anyone has any ideas about what I’m overlooking I’d definitely appreciate it.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
GuyNizry
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

There are still issues accessing public survey in 2.8 version.

I republish my survey with Survey connect 2.8, but some people reported they are asked to sign in in the app in order to open the form.

Some people succeeded to access the form.

Guy

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Guy,

People who previously downloaded the survey may receive the prompt to sign-in.  Make sure the survey is deleted from the device and then re-download the survey.

0 Kudos
GuyNizry

Hi James,

It happens on devices which download the app and open the survey for the first time.

0 Kudos
JohnMarino
New Contributor III
I republish my survey with Survey connect 2.8, but some people reported they are asked to sign in in the app in order to open the form.

When you re-published the survey, is it possible that the ArcGIS Online Feature Service (associated with the particular Survey123 survey) permissions changed?

0 Kudos
GuyNizry

Sorry for the late respond,

No, the feature service is shared publicly.

Didn't change when survey was republished.

0 Kudos
CarlosDuarte
New Contributor

Hi James and James,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue described by James (MacKay).  It only happens to me with android devices, not with iOS devices in which my surveys work smoothly while in logged out state in the field app.  The James' (Tedrick) workaround worked fine for me.  I'll be anxiously waiting the fix in the mid-May release, since I work for a local Government office that mekes heavy use of crowdsource mapping, so public surveys are a must.

Thanks to both!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Carlos, mackayj80‌, OSepulvedaIII‌,

We have a candidate build that corrects this issue for testing.  If you would like to verify that, can you please respond directly to me (jtedrick AT Esri.com) so that I can provide you access via Apple TestFlight?

0 Kudos
OscarSepulveda_III
Occasional Contributor

James Tedrick‌ 

I just emailed you a followup...

0 Kudos