Problem with opening a public survey in the Survey123 field app directly using Google-based browsers

07-25-2018 06:34 AM
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

I've created a survey, shared publicly, with the option "Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly" selected under Submitter settings in the Collaborate tab.  It seems that users running Apple mobile devices with Safari browser have no trouble clicking the link to the public survey and completing it in the field app.  However, my Android users report problems with it on their phones.  I've sent them the survey link, and ones who open it in Gmail or paste the link into Google Chrome reported that nothing happens apart from seeing the green Survey123 loading icon.  I've duplicated this problem on my own phone and so far I've found that it's only when opening the survey link in either Chrome or Gmail that this happens.  Using other browsers like Firefox or my phone's native browser does not recreate the issue.  Is there a setting that needs to be enabled on the user's side in order to access the field app using Google products?  Or do I need to tell my users to use a different browser when opening that link?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Konrad,

I have just tested the behavior mentioned by sharing a survey publicly, specifying the sharing option as "Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly" and then sending the share link to a Gmail account.  I was unable to reproduce the issue using a Samsung Galaxy S8 Android device, no matter if I clicked on the link from Gmail, or copied and pasted into different browsers (native browser, Google Chrome).

Is the survey that you are seeing this behavior with shared publicly? If so, can you send me the link in a private GeoNet message? 

Can you test to see if this behavior is reproducible with a different survey?  If so, what is the exact phone that you using when encountering this behavior?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Brandon,

I've had the same problem with another survey, both are shared publicly.  I'm not sure what other phones my users have when they try, but I had the problem on a Samsung Galaxy S8.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Konrad,

I sent you a private message via GeoNet.  Please respond with a link to one of the publicly shared surveys that you are encountering the issue with.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos