Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem to obtain consent for online survey with survey123 connect (I also appreciate new Ideas)

Jump to solution
07-19-2023 03:25 AM
OscarUrbinaLeal
New Contributor II

Hello!

I am doing a survey that is planned to be launched online. In the first page of the survey I added a consent section where the person needs to click "yes" in two select_one type question in order to continue to the following pages with questions. Otherwise, it will automatically send you to the last page of the survey (See pic below). 

The problem is that in a pre-test group, four of 25 people had the problem that after clicking in both consents it did not show the survey, instead, they were sent to the last survey's page, which is not supposed to happen. This happened to people of a variety of age (20 to 60), and different device users (android, ios and windows). Therefore, I have not been able to find the error. The code I have used in the "relevant" column is the following: selected(${consent1},'c1_Yes') and selected(${consent2},'c2_Yes'). 

I really appreacciate your help within this matter, as this problem is stopping me from launching fully my survey.

image_2023-07-19_122202219.png

Regards,

Oscar

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
GregKeith
Occasional Contributor III

You could make the questions 'select_one yes/no', required, and check that both are 'yes' before showing the rest of the survey. For tracking and statistical purposes this also gives you data for both the yes and no responses directly, rather than inferring 'no' when unchecked. 

View solution in original post

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I would agree with changing these to Yes_No rather than just Yes.

As for the survey not dynamically showing for some people, did you collect any metadata? Could potentially be:

1. Browser issue. That's a large age range, so I would assume a diverse userbase. Comparing their set-ups could shed some light on the issue. I use the following to collect metadata in all surveys:
    abureaux_0-1689865684023.png
  2. I found double-clicking a question quickly in the Field App causes the app to break (e.g., calculates usually detect the first click, but not the second).
  3. Honestly, I rarely use the web form, so I am unsure if there is a bug specific to that.

One note. From your logic posted above, it appears that you are duplicating lists. You can have multiple questions reference the same list. For example:

selected(${consent1},'Yes_No') and selected(${consent2},'Yes_No')

${consent1} and ${consent2} will store their answers independently of each other (E.g., You could have ${consent1}=Yes and ${consent2}=No or ${consent1}=Yes and ${consent2}=Yes).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GregKeith

You could make the questions 'select_one yes/no', required, and check that both are 'yes' before showing the rest of the survey. For tracking and statistical purposes this also gives you data for both the yes and no responses directly, rather than inferring 'no' when unchecked. 

OscarUrbinaLeal
New Contributor II

Dear GregKeith,

thanks a lot for your reply. Then, do you think that adding the 'no' answer to each of my questions would solve the problem?. Thanks for the insight, anyways I will add the options considering what you said, as it would be interesting to see how many people accept also to provide the data

0 Kudos
GregKeith

You probably want the 'no' as well. Otherwise, you have no way of seeing how many people said no as well as those who said yes. If you're doing a scientific study and/or have IRB requirements, this can be especially important. Instead of just saying '100 people completed the survey', you can say '150 people viewed the survey, with 100 agreeing to the stipulations and 50 disagreeing, for a participation rate of 66%'.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I would agree with changing these to Yes_No rather than just Yes.

As for the survey not dynamically showing for some people, did you collect any metadata? Could potentially be:

1. Browser issue. That's a large age range, so I would assume a diverse userbase. Comparing their set-ups could shed some light on the issue. I use the following to collect metadata in all surveys:
    abureaux_0-1689865684023.png
  2. I found double-clicking a question quickly in the Field App causes the app to break (e.g., calculates usually detect the first click, but not the second).
  3. Honestly, I rarely use the web form, so I am unsure if there is a bug specific to that.

One note. From your logic posted above, it appears that you are duplicating lists. You can have multiple questions reference the same list. For example:

selected(${consent1},'Yes_No') and selected(${consent2},'Yes_No')

${consent1} and ${consent2} will store their answers independently of each other (E.g., You could have ${consent1}=Yes and ${consent2}=No or ${consent1}=Yes and ${consent2}=Yes).

OscarUrbinaLeal
New Contributor II

Thank you very much abureaux for the reply, I included the no option for both consents and I will also retrieve some of the info you suggested.

0 Kudos
OscarUrbinaLeal
New Contributor II

I just noticed your note, and I highly appreciate your comment. So, in that line of thought, if I have multiple 'yes_no' questions, could I use the same answer list for all of them? How would that work when exporting the answers? To be honest, I thought each question must have its own set of answers to be able to obtain the responses independently.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

They sure can!

abureaux_0-1691503615373.png

All that really matters is that each of those 'select_one' questions has a unique 'name'. Survey123 will give you an error if you have duplicate names (as illustrated below).

#1: Conditional formatting in Excel. This can break if you copy-paste things wrong (always use 'paste values only' in Excel)

abureaux_1-1691503816140.png

#2: Error converting XLSForm popup. This appears when you try and save the document with a duplicate in the name column.

abureaux_2-1691503917937.png

#3: I believe they fixed this one... In the past, I have had someone able to hide the first two errors. They tried to publish the survey and got a very strange publishing error.

0 Kudos