Poor Performance on Mobile

10-18-2017 07:23 AM
ChrisWaldron
New Contributor II

I have a survey created with the web designer.  It is a bit lengthy and does include skip logic.  The survey behaves as expected on desktops.  However, the form responds slowly to scrolling and selections on mobile devices using a browser.  For example, when simply selecting a radio button, it takes up to 3 seconds (e.g. on a galaxy 7 with chrome via 4g or wi-fi) for the radio button to appear as selected. I've tested shorter surveys on mobile devices and have not had this issue, so it appears to be a function of either survey length and/or logic.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a work-around?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Switching to the mobile app is not preferred.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

We currently have an open issue and enhancement request to improve the performance of large surveys in the browser based mobile web app. This will hopefully be resolved and implemented in a future release. I have added your comments to the issue.

In the meantime the best workaround for large and complex surveys is to use the mobile field app. The field app can handle very large surveys with complex calculations and relevant questions. Due to the nature of it being an app loaded on the device, the survey responds faster and provides more functionally than web, as the internet and constant refreshing of data to server is not required once the survey is downloaded, and only required at time of submitting the survey back to server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
ChrisWaldron
New Contributor II

Thank you for the information and explanation, Philip!  In this particular scenario, the field app will actually be a good fit for our workflow.  If we create surveys for the general public (who use their phones and won't likely download an app to answer questions), then we'll just need to keep the surveys short an simple for now.

...the Survey123 dev team gets an A+ from me.  The web-based designer is the easiest-to-use tool Esri has created.

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi cjwisdh‌,

Thanks for your feedback.

Would you mind to share some information on your survey? Such as:

* How many questions do you have in the survey?

* For the choice question has most choice items, how many choice items are there?

* How many "skip rules" do you have in the survey?

0 Kudos
ChrisWaldron
New Contributor II

We have about 30 questions, most of which are tied to skip rules.  Number of choice items isn't a factor - 2 or 20 behave the same.  I'll send the test survey to you in an email.  Thank you and much appreciated!

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris,

Thanks for the information. Also looking forward to the test survey so that we can try to make it better for you.

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

The development team has done a lot of work on the new web app which can render surveys both from the web designer and Survey123 Connect, which also will bring a performance improvement for old surveys. The current plan is we will use the new web app in 2.6 release (late Jan. 2018), please stay tuned to our blog.

Note:

* For surveys created in web designer, the owner need to republish the survey in Design page to benefit from the new web app

* For surveys created in Survey123 Connect, the new web app will apply automatically 

0 Kudos