Select to view content in your preferred language

'Other' from Select_Multiple

10-20-2017 03:31 PM
AyeletGreenberg
Occasional Contributor

One of the options in a select_multiple question is 'Other'.

Using ${Asset_Type}='Other' in the 'relevant' column works only for single choice.
If the user select only the 'other' from the multiple choices list the 'other' field will open, but if the user will select more choices from the list, the 'other' field disappears.
How do I set it so the 'other' field will open each time the 'other' option is selected from the list, regardless if other choices are selected or not.
Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ayelet 

Have you considered using the the or other functionality to achieve this? Essentially the syntax would be:

select_multiple [listname] or other

This would remove the requirement for a relavent but give you the same result.

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
AyeletGreenberg
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,
I tried what you recommended and encountered some issues.
When I tried publishing the survey I got a 'submission URL' error that the field Asset_Type_other doesn't exist.
This survey was created from an existing feature that has a related table.
In ArcCatalog I added an 'Asset_Type_other' field to the table and re-published the service.
This time when I tried publishing the survey I got a 'submission URL' error that the field Asset_Type_other is too short.
Even after I changed the field length to be very long, I got the same error message.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ayelet,

You can set the field length manually using the bind::esri:fieldLength column .  You may want to recheck the length of the column you added- I'm unsure if you can alter that once set.

0 Kudos
AyeletGreenberg
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure how to set the select_multiple [listname] or other.

The related table includes an 'Asset_Type_other' field.
When this field is included in the XLS form, when I try to publish the survey I get an error message that there are two survey elements named  'Asset_Type_other'.
When I removed this field to the form I got an error message that the field Asset_Type_other length is too short, regardless of  how long it is, (even if it is longer than the 'Asset_Type' field. )
And also, in this case, I can't change the length in the form because there is no such field in the form.

What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ayelet,

It sounds like, given these issues, it might be better to not use the or_other keyword.  You can manually duplicate this by adding a value of 'Other' to your choice list and then adding the 'Asset_Type_other' question.  Relevancy can be controlled by the selected() function (see Formulas—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ); the expression would likely be something like
selected(${Asset_Type}, 'other')

AyeletGreenberg
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!  Exactly what I was looking for. 

0 Kudos