Select to view content in your preferred language

Ordering of groups in a Survey123 report

09-25-2023 12:16 PM
MTavares_Manitoba
New Contributor II

I put together a survey to collect road inspection data, the survey works well. The survey is very short and consists of a group being repeated to collect data on individual sites in an area. When the inspectors are in the field they collect data for the sites in a random order, for example they could collect site 3 then 28 then 44.

The issue I’m having is when the inspectors generate the report the sites come out in the same order that the inspector collected them. I would like sites in the generated report to start from site 1 and end on the last.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm assuming there's a field in your feature layer called "Site Number" or something? The reports are printed in the order they are in the attribute table, and it sounds like right now they're just sorted chronologically. Do "Sort Ascending" on your Site Number field and then generate the reports 🙂

Note that if your Site Number field is a text field, you will probably want to add an additional field to the feature layer (number type) called "Sort" or whatever and field calculate it to be the same as the data in the Site Number field, since numbers sort differently than text. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MTavares_Manitoba
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply, I tried to sort by ascending but when I generate the report in Survey123 the sites still come out in the order they are collected.

The Site Number field is an integer field, will I still want to add an additional field to the feature layer (number type) called "Sort" and field calculate?

If this is the method I need to use do you know of any links or tutorials to field calculated so the site numbers are reported in order? I am fairly new to Survey123.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You did "Sort Ascending" within the Survey123 interface? If you do it here, it should work...

Katherine_Clark_0-1695923078910.png

And no, you don't *have* to create a sort field, you'd only need to do that if the rows weren't ordering the way you wanted them to when you selected Sort Ascending or Descending. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos