Select to view content in your preferred language

Seeking recommendations on how to solicit web map feedback from the public

10-24-2022 11:05 AM
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

I am looking for a way to gather public (non-AGOL user) feedback on a web map that includes the following:

• Users would be able to drop one or more points on a map and leave a comment(s).
  • Users would be able to view map layer attribute information.

The Map survey template within ArcGIS Hub and Survey123 does not meet our needs as it does not allow a user to drop multiple points and comments to a map. It also does not allow users to view map layer attribute information.

Your help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HarshithaDondapati1
Esri Contributor

Hello Scott, 

I'm Harshi, PM on the ArcGIS Hub team.

Thank you for sending us your enquiry regarding public feedback gathering on a map. ArcGIS Hub has a feedback tool that released in 2021 which makes it easier for the public to input geographic data using full-screen, mobile responsive maps. Here is a blog link that explains how map-based feedbacks work - https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-hub/constituent-engagement/gather-community-feedbac....                                                                                                   

We also have a new feature we will be releasing soon- discussions  that facilitates conversation(posts, replies) on a webmap, dataset (or any content item) to facilitate deeper feedback collection within Hub.  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-hub/sharing-collaboration/coming-soon-hub-discussio.... I am glad to set up a call to demo map-based feedback and discussions and get your feedback on both!  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

Hi Harshi,

I am aware of the map-based feedback, however, there appears to be some limitations. I was not aware of Discussions and would like to take you up on your offer to discuss further. I will send you a DM with my email address.

0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

Do you mind sharing the solution or workaround you used?
I'm having a similar problem, we want a web and mobile friendly web map for community to comment on multiple parking locations. 
The mobile capabilities are lacking in the configurable apps/WAB/ExBldr.

0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

I cannot believe that ESRI still has not come up with a good solution for a crowd-sourced map application. I used ArcGIS Web App Builder, then created a dashboard theme, then used an "About" widget to provide instructions, then the "Smart editor" (which for some reason, I can no longer find in the widget choices) so that users can click on a point location and then edit certain fields. The web map and any layers you want the public to edit must have "Public data collection" enabled in the options menu. 

ScottHansen__MDP__0-1695922758956.png

Here is a screenshot of the application: 

ScottHansen__MDP__1-1695922871147.png

ScottHansen__MDP__2-1695922902731.png

0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

I agree!
Thank you for sharing your work around.
I contacted support today and it is a known defect, BUG-000161705.
They're working on it...in the meantime we'll have to be creative...

0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

Please clarify if the bug you are referring to is the missing "Smart Editor" widget, or something else.

0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

My apologies, I've been all over the Esri Community today!
The BUG is related to the ExBldr Edit Widget not allowing just for a 'Create Features' function. 
See this post: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/remove-the-select-edit-part-in-edi...