Offline base map for Survey123

11-12-2020 11:20 AM
BrunoGinciene
New Contributor

Hi all, I hope everyone is well

I'm trying to create an offline basemap in ArcGIS Online, to use in Survey123, which contains a satellite image and two reference layers (vectors). I followed Esri's link step by step (https://doc.arcgis.com/pt-br/arcgis-online/manage-data/take-maps-offline.htm#), but it didn't work as desired. The image appears as a basemap option, but the reference layers do not appear. I followed the following steps:

1- created a web map and inserted two vector layers (feature layer hosted);

2- I enabled both layers for offline use;

3- I enabled the offline mode of the web map;

4- in Manage Areas, I created a Map Area and save;

5- I opened Survey123, located the area created and downloaded it for offline use.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the basemap offline display all layers? Is it possible to do this in Survey123? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Logan_Stevens
Esri Contributor

Have you tried sideloading the basemap as a tile package onto the device? Take a look at this resource - How To: Sideload tile packages to the Survey123 for ArcGIS field app.

0 Kudos
BrunoGinciene
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply!

The problem is not about insert the base map into the device, but how to make the layers available offline as well. The offline basemap is working (image only!), but I want to make available the whole Web Map, including the vector layers and not the image only.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

As noted in Prepare baseman's for offline use, Survey123 only displays the basemap layer for offline areas generated in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
JonahW
by
New Contributor III

Hi James,

I'm wondering if you could confirm whether this is still the case - that operational layers are still not available in an offline map created for Survey123.  I have gone through the workflow and I am unable to see the layer, so I'm guessing the answer is yes.  If this is still the case, are there any workarounds available? My operational layer is the actual survey responses as I want the user to be able to see whether a survey has already been submitted at a particular address so we don't duplicate  our efforts. 

Thank you  

0 Kudos
HannahAWhite
New Contributor II
Greetings, fellow struggle bussers. I feel your pain.

For those interested, here's the workaround:

In summary:
For offline maps in Survey123, you have to create an MMPK file (mobile map package) in ArcGIS Pro, which is a multi-step process (see below bullets), then upload the MMPK to AGOL, and then go into Survey123 Connect and link the MMPK file to your survey so that it is available to users.

If you try to use an offline map area created in AGOL (as you might do for Field Maps, where you just click Manage Offline Areas and then drag-and-drop a rectangle for your offline area) – those types of offline maps, when selected in Survey123, won't show any vector data, only the basemap (such as imagery). This is an unfortunate limitation that Esri has implemented, specific to Survey123, which—for the life of me—I cannot understand why. The same issue does not apply to Field Maps.

The workaround for S123 (getting vector layers to appear in offline basemaps):
  • do these steps first or you won't see any web-based layers
  • instructions for creating MMPK here

May the force be with you