Not seeing "Compact"

Jump to solution
05-01-2017 12:07 PM
BillBittenbender
New Contributor II

I just updated to 2.0.35.  I have a "begin group" type selected in a row of my XLSForm.  I go to the corresponding "appearance" column and select the drop down, but there is no "Compact" option to pick.  I do see the "Autocomplete", which is fantastic, by the way.  Is it just me?  Help please!!!  

Thank you,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bill,

Is this an existing survey?  If so, you will need to manually add the new appearance types to the old Excel file - see https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/04/27/chernobyl-remembrance-day-release-20#com... 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bill,

Is this an existing survey?  If so, you will need to manually add the new appearance types to the old Excel file - see https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/04/27/chernobyl-remembrance-day-release-20#com... 

BillBittenbender
New Contributor II

Thank you James. I added the "compact" option to the "types" tab with a brief description and Wallah!  Your response time is outstanding.

0 Kudos
BillBittenbender
New Contributor II

Straight from "What's new in Survey 123"...

• A new appearance type of compact is available for groups and repeats. This appearance starts the group or repeat as collapsed, instead of initially expanded.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bill,

If you did not create the Survey form from within the newest version 2.0.35, then you will need to manually add in the information that James is talking about.

However, if you are okay with creating a new survey form, then you could simply do the following -

1. Create a new survey using the Advanced form template
  2. Open up your original survey form Excel spreadsheet
  3. Next you will need to complete the following for each of the first THREE TABS; survey, choices, and settings
    1. Start in Cell A1 and highlight all of the other cells that have information within them.
      1. In the survey form you will need to highlight cells A1 to X1 and then down to your last question
      2. Right Click and copy.
      3. Open the Choices tab on your newest Survey Excel spreadsheet
      4. Place your cursor in cell A1
      5. Right Click and Paste as VALUES
    2. Repeat the same for the remaining two tabs, but keep in mind that you only need to do this for the areas that contain information.

This should allow you to have your survey and utilize the newest functionality within Survey123 Connect.

However, I think that James's method of adding in the option within the tab that is named types around row 35. Insert a new line, then type in compact, then save the form, then go back over the survey tab and try to appearance drop down again.

Good Luck!

Mike

BillBittenbender
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

I actually made the changes that James recommended and it worked.  Then, I had to re-create a new version of the survey and used your method.  That also worked.  I appreciated your directions.

Thank you,

Bill

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bill,

I am glade that worked out for you.

One thing that you might want to consider; and this just came to my attention, when doing this copy and paste is there could be new columns added to any of these tabs. I think to be on the safe side, I would recommend pasting your information starting cell A2, and then quickly panning across the columns to make sure that what you are pasting lines up with the columns that have been designated within the newer survey.

If there are new columns present within the newer survey template, then I think that you should still be able to complete this action. However, you might have to copy and paste smaller chunks in order to get the data columns to line up. I imagine that the Survey123 team would not change the column headers within most of the tabs, but I do know that they will add to them.

Mike

0 Kudos
BillBittenbender
New Contributor II

sounds good

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

On step 3.1.3 it should have been the survey tab and not the choices tab. sorry!

0 Kudos
BillBittenbender
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

I could use some more help on a totally different subject. I am using a C# program to access your Rest service. I need to be able to pull the completed surveys back and de-serialize the data into a class.

Do you have any examples of connecting to the service with C#?

What documentation should I be using to generate a token if I am using 10.4.1?

Thank you,

Bill

William “Bill” Bittenbender

APPLICATION DEVELOPER SR.

Nebraska Department of Natural Resources

301 Centennial Mall South

P.O. Box 94676

Lincoln, Nebraska 68509

OFFICE 402-471-3991 / FAX 402-471-2900

bill.bittenbender@nebraska.gov<mailto:bill.bittenbender@nebraska.gov>

dnr.nebraska.gov

0 Kudos