Nested If/Then statements for Instance Name

06-03-2022 11:23 AM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III
I am trying to use nested if statements to color code the instance name in the Inbox. I have 4 cases that I need to check for:
CASE 1 - No Leak

If(string-length(${leak_id} = 0), concat('<font color="green"><b>', ${location_name}, '</b>', '</font>'), '')

CASE 2 - Leak Found and Not Repaired

If(string-length(${leak_id} > 0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date}=0), concat('<font color="red"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS REPAIR’,'</b>', '</font>'), '')

CASE 3 - Leak Repaired and Not Re-Checked

If(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date}>0) and string-length(leak_recheck_date}=0), concat('<font color="orange"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS RE-CHECK’,'</b>', '</font>'), '')

CASE 4 - Leak Repaired and Re-Checked

If(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date}>0) and string-length(leak_recheck_date}>0), concat('<font color="blue"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – LEAK REPAIRED & RE-CHECKED’,'</b>', '</font>'),'')

So, putting this all together gives me:

If(string-length(${leak_id}=0) , concat('<font color="green"><b>', ${location_name}, '</b>', '</font>'), If(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date} =0), concat('<font color="red"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS REPAIR’,'</b>', '</font>'), If(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date} >0) and string-length(leak_recheck_date=0), concat('<font color="orange"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS RE-CHECK’,'</b>', '</font>'), If(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date} >0) and string-length(leak_recheck_date}>0) ,concat('<font color="blue"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – LEAK REPAIRED & RE-CHECKED’,'</b>', '</font>', ‘’)))))

Can I use nested if/then for instance name and if yes, what am I missing??

Thanks,

--gary

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @GaryBowles1,

Yes, nested if() statements work for instance name.

It looks like you have the closing bracket for the last if() statement in the wrong place for the false condition. In you singular example after the </font> there is a closing bracket, followed by the '' for final false condition. In your combined if() statements, there is no closing bracket after </font> meaning the '' are within the concat and there is no false condition for the final nested if().

I have not tested this but it should work (I also find it easier to break the if() statements out onto different lines for each condition, you  can then move them all back onto one line when put back into XLSForm):

if(string-length(${leak_id}=0),
	concat('<font color="green"><b>',${location_name},'</b>','</font>'),
		if(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date} =0),
			concat('<font color="red"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS REPAIR’,'</b>', '</font>'),
				if(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date} >0) and string-length(leak_recheck_date=0),
					concat('<font color="orange"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS RE-CHECK’,'</b>', '</font>'),
						if(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date} >0) and string-length(leak_recheck_date}>0),
							concat('<font color="blue"><b>', ${location_name}, ‘ – LEAK REPAIRED & RE-CHECKED’,'</b>', '</font>'),
						'')
				)
		)
)

Regards,

Phil. 

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Phil,

Thanks for the help, I got the statement to convert in Connect:

if(string-length(${leak_id}=0), concat('<div style="font-weight:bold;color:green">',${location_name},' - NO LEAKS','</div>'), if(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date}=0), concat('<div style="font-weight:bold;color:red">', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS REPAIR’,'</div>'), if(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date}>0) and string-length(${leak_recheck_date}=0), concat('<div style="font-weight:bold;color:orange">', ${location_name}, ‘ – NEEDS RE-CHECK’,'</div>'), if(string-length(${leak_id}>0) and string-length(${leak_repair_date}>0) and string-length(${leak_recheck_date}>0), concat('<div style="font-weight:bold;color:blue">', ${location_name}, ‘ – LEAK REPAIRED & RE-CHECKED’,'</div>'), ''))))

however it does not appear to be working:

GaryBowles1_0-1654615174334.png

There are 3 of the conditions in the nested if statement within the 4 surveys that are submitted.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @GaryBowles1,

Are you able to share the XLSForm (xlsx file and any media/scripts) and instructions on which questions to fill out to make the instance name work in each case.

I need to look into it further with your exact survey, as if you set up a simple instance name with if() statements it is working.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Phil,

Attached is the survey form and .csv file associated with barcode scan. I have been able to get this to work by using the boolean() and not(boolean()) functions instead of string-length(). I have also found that the html formatting (<div style>) as stated here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-quick-guide-to/ba-...

doesn't work and I have to use old reliable <font color="blue"><b> html formatting.

This is all being done to differentiate surveys in the Inbox. It would be great if we could set up multiple Inboxes instead. I have added this to the Ideas section.

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos