More than one map question work around in Survey 123?

09-01-2020 05:47 PM
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Hello, I am configuring a survey using Survey 123 connect. However, I just realized that  only one map question is allowed per survey. Is there a work-around for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Melanie,

That is correct. A feature layer in ArcGIS can only have one geometry. A map question (geopoint, geotrace and geoshape) are one geometry each, so for a feature record added to the layer it can only have one geometry.

If you want to include more than one map question, there are a few ways you can configure your survey to achieve this, depending on the workflow and the way you want the data to be stored and used. Here are some options:

Using the null option in bind::esri:fieldType column to apply a null type which means the geopoint does not get stored in the feature layer, but can be used for calculations and pulldata in the survey to use the coordinates and data from that map question to store it in following questions. You can find more info here: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/10/26/the-power-of-nothing.

You could also add a repeat (related layer) to you survey that has a map question, and this would allow the user taking the survey to add multiple repeat records to that layer with different locations in the map question. Check out this blog on repeats: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2020/04/09/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-repeats.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Thanks for responding to my question. I will try to implement your suggestion. 

Best,

Melanie 

MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, Does the null option apply to multiple Geoline questions? I am configuring a survey to understand mobility barriers for folks that take the bus and bike to various points of interest. I would like ask a question so they draw the route they take and then ask another question that would allow them to draw their preferred route if the previous route has challenges associated with it. Thanks! -Melanie

0 Kudos
SaraElBayar
New Contributor

Hi,

Are there any video tutorials on how to add multiple map questions showing the different results analyzed for each method?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Melanie,

Yes, you can use the null option in bind::esri:fieldType column for multiple geopoint, geotrace and geoshape questions. Note that only one geometry can actually be submitted and stored in the feature layer. The first geometry (line) if you use multiple geotrace questions that does not have the null value will be submitted and stored. For the other null questions, you will need to save the vertices (point data from the line) into a following text questions using a calculation. And then if you want to redraw those that will have to be done in ArcGIS post processing.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Thanks! Your direction is super helpful. Though, I am a bit intimated because my programming knowledge is limited. Is there a template for multi geo questions or a tutorial that provides detailed instructions on configuring the XLM form which will produce a survey with multi geo questions? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Melanie,

Yes, please refer to this great blog post by James Tedrick‌ here: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/10/26/the-power-of-nothing .

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, I did successfully implement the use of repeats to configure Survey 123 with multiple geotrace questions. Now I am looking for information on how to extend Survey 123 so survey respondents can see other survey respondents geotrace answers. Is it a manner of configuring Survey 123 with a custom map that includes the hosted feature service created by Survey 123?  I am also wondering if you know of a way to add comments directly to the map and have others see those as well. 

Thanks for being such a helpful resource!

Best,

Melanie

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Melanie,

Yes, you can configure Survey123 to use a custom web map as the basemap in a geopoint/trace/shape question. Please see Include a map in your survey—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation  and also this blog post https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2020/08/07/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-configurin... .

This functionality only allows viewing the web map as a basemap, and any data and layers in the web map will be displayed, but does not allow the features to be interacted with. So you can not click on existing features in the basemap and see the attributes in a pop-up, like you would in Pro or Web map viewer. It is just for basemap display purposes only.

Regards,

Phil.