Select to view content in your preferred language

Map in Survey as reference only?

Jump to solution
06-06-2023 04:10 PM
VickiG
by
New Contributor III

Hi:

I was wondering if a map can be in a survey for reference only?  The survey I am working on does not have any geolocation questions (we revisit known locations), but I got a request to have a map in the survey. 

I actually am not sure of the usefulness of this...if a reference map is even possible, can you navigate, measure, etc within it?  Also it would probably take up a lot of screen space unless it can be toggled on/off?

I have some maps as GeoPDFs...might they be included as an image, note, etc?  But again, I'm guessing this is not actual functioning navigation tool.

I personally think a good old paper map and compass is fine (showing my age! 😉 or a dedicated mapping app like Avenza or a GPS unit, but wanted to follow up on the request from a user.

Excel file below for reference.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @VickiG

Since you mentioned you revisit known locations I assume you are using the Survey123 Inbox to edit existing GIS features in a feature service. Within the Survey123 Inbox there is a map tab that can be used as a reference map. 

If having the map in the form is of more interested you can add a geo* question (geopoint, geotrace, geoshape) which will add a map to your form. In the XLSForm under the bind::esri:fieldType column you can set the value for the geo* question to null so that nothing is submitted to the feature service the map would just be available in the form for reference. 

In both cases the Inbox map and the geo* map neither have measuring tools or more advanced spatial capabilities it's mainly just pan, zoom, and focus on the devices location. You wouldn't be able to navigate like in ArcGIS Navigator, but you could specify a specific basemap and if that has features in it you could navigate by seeing if your position indicator is around a feature. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @VickiG

Since you mentioned you revisit known locations I assume you are using the Survey123 Inbox to edit existing GIS features in a feature service. Within the Survey123 Inbox there is a map tab that can be used as a reference map. 

If having the map in the form is of more interested you can add a geo* question (geopoint, geotrace, geoshape) which will add a map to your form. In the XLSForm under the bind::esri:fieldType column you can set the value for the geo* question to null so that nothing is submitted to the feature service the map would just be available in the form for reference. 

In both cases the Inbox map and the geo* map neither have measuring tools or more advanced spatial capabilities it's mainly just pan, zoom, and focus on the devices location. You wouldn't be able to navigate like in ArcGIS Navigator, but you could specify a specific basemap and if that has features in it you could navigate by seeing if your position indicator is around a feature. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
VickiG
by
New Contributor III

Hi Zach, 

Thanks for the quick reply!  We aren't actually editing any existing GIS features, just collecting other data and eventually exporting the data tables out to another database app.  

But your suggestions might work, I think the reference map in the inbox may suffice (even with my sad GIS skills, I think I can create a basic online map, fingers crossed).

I will try out the geo* question / null option just to see how it looks in the form, but it may not be what folks are looking for if they want navigation capabilities (I don't think we have the Navigator licensed), but there are other tools for that available.

Thanks again for the help, the members these boards are so helpful to new users! 🙂

Vicki

0 Kudos