Select to view content in your preferred language

Map/extent locations all showing at same point (Gulf of Guinea)

09-03-2024 09:53 AM
RobSchorr
Emerging Contributor

Hello All, I've been using ArcGIS Online Survey 123 for a project where rock climbers can record observations. It has worked swimmingly for several years, but now all the locations are showing up at a default location in Gulf of Guinea, west of Africa. Prior to this, the climbers were able to report their locations by placing a marker on the Map/Extent option of the form. For some reason, all the locations are depicted at this default location.

Has anyone experienced this, and, if so, how did they correct it?

Thank you,

Rob Schorr
Climbers for Bat Conservation, Colorado State University

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @RobSchorr

Points appears at that location (0,0) by default when the user neglects to add a point to the map, or when a device fails to report its location.

You could encourage users to enable location sharing on their device(s), or another option is to prompt them to place a point on the map themselves. 

If there seems to be another problem, then you may want to check out this post for more information. 

Hope that helps! Emily

0 Kudos
RobSchorr
Emerging Contributor

Thank you, EmilyGeo,

I just submitted a test record where I purposely pinned my location and it still defaulted to the 0,0 location. I'll investigate the link you shared to look for solutions. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
RobSchorr
Emerging Contributor

I think this might be my issue, 

"every form entered in Survey123 appeared on Africa and the coordinate value was not displayed in the attribute table. I noticed that the "do not store the answer" option is checked in the "Other" section at the bottom of the map settings in the form."

Why this became checked after a year+ of working correctly, I don't know.

0 Kudos
SusanWS_nysm
Occasional Contributor
Hi Rob,
I also experienced this with users after a Survey123 update. The climbers need to refresh their telephone GPS (when they get to the question about location) by touching the little icon in the upper left corner – it looks a bit like a target – before marking the location. What is appearing now is 0 lat, 0 long. 😉
All the best,

Susan

PS: are they taking photos as part of the survey as well? That was my saving grace with an enormous number of location records – for whatever reason, the photos were recording the correct LAT, LONG and I was able to edit the table so no locational data was lost.
0 Kudos