Load Inbox from Excel for further editing in the field

Jump to solution
03-18-2022 04:43 AM
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Subject description could probably be better but here's the issue:

For each site we visit I setup a Survey123 form which gets populated with several records (each record being a tree). Once the project is finished, after downloading the data, processing it all, etc. eventually I delete it from our AGOL, in order to save credits on storage.

Now, it may occur that after a some months/years, we are requested to re-visit the site and provide an update.

It would be extremely useful if, with the all the data downloaded as an excel in the first survey, I could use it to populate the inbox in a new Survey123 form created for this new visit, so that we don't need to fill in all the questions in the form and can go directly to to edit just those values that need updating.

Is there a way to do what I'm trying to describe? I hope this makes sense.

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @RafaeldePedro

If you have the XY information in the Excel spreadsheet you can create a hosted feature layer using the data then create a survey based on the existing feature service. Please see this documentation for more information.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have attachments with your data, that is going to require some additional work. In the attachments case I would suggest downloading the data as a file geodatabase in order to maintain the attachments. Additionally if you plan on republishing the data at any point in the future Survey123 uses attachment keywords to associate what image goes with what question and those keywords are lost in file geodatabases. This makes remapping the images to image questions when creating the survey based on the existing feature service additional work/consideration. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @RafaeldePedro

If you have the XY information in the Excel spreadsheet you can create a hosted feature layer using the data then create a survey based on the existing feature service. Please see this documentation for more information.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have attachments with your data, that is going to require some additional work. In the attachments case I would suggest downloading the data as a file geodatabase in order to maintain the attachments. Additionally if you plan on republishing the data at any point in the future Survey123 uses attachment keywords to associate what image goes with what question and those keywords are lost in file geodatabases. This makes remapping the images to image questions when creating the survey based on the existing feature service additional work/consideration. 

Thank you,
Zach
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Thank you this has worked for me.

0 Kudos