Select to view content in your preferred language

Link related records to parent in the form itself or inbox, rather than URL parameter

01-04-2022 12:55 PM
SFM_TravisBott
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure if what I am trying to do is possible (or if I'm not quite thinking about it right), but I thought I would ask. This question is very similar, but the solution is not quite what I'm looking for. I'll page @DougBrowning as he answers the original. 

What I'm trying to do: I would like to create related records in Survery123 but be able to make the connection to the parent record in the form itself. The workflow that I keep seeing described uses URL parameters. These are excellent, but require the users to access a secondary mobile application to produce a record.

My use case involves inspections for local jurisdictions. So I have a feature service with fixed geometry and I would like to be able to relate numerous inspection records (1:M) to those jurisdictions. It's very possible to configure map or dashboard or similar to launch the survey from, but I would like my users to be able to both create a new (related) record via URL parameters in web browser as well as be able to open the mobile app and submit a new record. For instance, with URL parameters my users can click on Jurisdiction X, launch the survey to produce a record. Could they also open their mobile app, choose the jurisdiction from a drop-down list, and create a related record that way?

There are other ways to achieve this, of course (like using the same jurisdiction domains in two separate datasets and then performing joins) but I want to know if the above workflow is possible. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well if you have a known key and not using globalID then yes.  Just have the drop down be the key value and it should all just work.  That is all the URL does anyway so the form would have no idea where the value comes from.  I am doing something similar for a project where the geo may be created after the form.

Hope that is what you meant.

0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the response. I will try that. It's a little less clean but I think I can guarantee uniqueness. 

0 Kudos