Launching other apps from within Survey123

08-27-2018 09:59 AM
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

We would like to be able to launch 2 different mobile apps (Recreation Compass and Avenza Maps) from within Survey123 so less tech-savvy staff can more directly access on-line and off-line maps. Is this possible? I saw posts regarding launching Survey123 from other apps, but not the other way around. Thanks.

Tags (3)
6 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bob

This is possible as long as the apps have a URL that can be called to launch them.

Additionally, if you are using them on iOS the launching app (Survey123) must whitelist the apps to be launched.

Take a look at the sample in Connect called Trek2There for an example.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks much.

Bob

0 Kudos
José_CarlosPalma_García
New Contributor II

Hi Jhon,

I've the same question. I want to launch Open camera for android from survey123 using url shchema, but I can't find the URL to open this app.
Although what really interests me is open an alternative camera (open camera app) instead off Survey123 default camera.

Thanks.

José C. Palma

Ismael Chivite

James Tedrick

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Johnathan,

I have a couple of queries regarding the whitelisting of other apps in iOS - is the whitelist something that the user can define within the settings of Survey123, or can other apps that open from Survey123 only be whitelisted by ESRI? If so, what is the best way to make a request to add an app to the iOS whitelist?

I used the URL scheme for the app i wish to open and tested that it opens from within Survey123, it works correctly on an Android device but not on iOS, I'm guessing the issue is the whitelist.

Thanks in advance

Andrew   

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew

We would need to whitelist the app our end. We have not formalised the process for this yet. But I can open an issue for review. What is the app and what is the url used to launch the app?

Thanks

John

Yuhash
by
Occasional Contributor

I have created a post on the IDEA site for this ability. Let's get this up-listed by voting please!

Launch system and third party apps with iOS URL... | GeoNet 

0 Kudos