Label for repeat-bars

12-16-2019 08:49 AM
JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hello all, 

Is there any ways that I can label my repeat-bars (not sure how to call them)? 

I have nested repeats, and not having label may make users confused or make some errors accidentally. It would be great if I can label them based on 'repeat name', or at lease make different colors for each repeat??

8 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to add text or distinguish particular repeats within the 'repeat bar' area when designing a survey. 

While you can change the color of individual repeats, it will not be applied to the 'repeat bar' area.  If you'd like to play around with this, please refer to the documentation here...Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

As for applying text or modification to the repeat bar itself, we do have this internally listed as a potential enhancement to address in the future.  Having said that, it would be great if you would be willing to raise this as an official Enhancement request with Esri Technical Support.  This allows us to effectively track the number of Survey123 users who have the same desired request and incorporate that into our planning.

Thank you,

Brandon

JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hello Brandon, Thank you for your quick reply. Applying background color was very helpful!  I will address the idea of labeling/coloring bars to tech support for further enhancement!

Regards, 

J

0 Kudos
JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hi Brandon, 

Another question. I tried to apply this background color and some HTML in another survey that is used in web form. However, none of the HTML except for font color has been applied. Is it a normal behavior on web form?

this is what I see while testing- 

in web form, body color and backgroud color are not applied. 

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

Unfortunately, the backgroundColor and borderColor properties will not persist when viewing the survey in the web app.  It would be great if you could please request an Enhancement from Technical Support for this, as well.  In the meantime, we'll try to get this behavior listed in the documentation. 

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
EvanR
by
New Contributor III

Apparently the option to label repeats was submitted as an enhancement request in 2017, but  don't see a way to up-vote or track the status of that request. This would be VERY useful for forms with nested repeats.

0 Kudos
dannigart
New Contributor II

I also found that multiple repeat sections can cause confusion and labeling the bar would be helpful. To get around this, I created a read only text field (with style = null so that it is not included in my data table) directly before the repeat ends, which is labeled what I would have wanted the bar to say. Below is my example to help the user understand which repeat bar is for which page:

dannigart_0-1669230659840.png

dannigart_1-1669230869613.png

I hope this helps!

Danni 

0 Kudos
EvanR
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about doing it that way (and may yet), but would love not to have to use more (vertical) screen real estate to add labels.

0 Kudos
EvanR
by
New Contributor III

I have submitted an "Idea" for this issue, as it appears the previous enhancement request lapsed. If you would like to have this functionality, please give it a thumbs up so that ESRI staff will be more likely to implement it.

0 Kudos