Is there a method to display all repeat rows within a survey instead of having them stacked (1 of x)?

03-11-2020 02:13 PM
HassanBasagic1
New Contributor II

I am creating a form to collect information on individual fish at several locations using Survey 123 Connect. I set up a repeat group to record individual fish attributes, however, the field crews need to see all repeated rows as the data is collected. Is there a method to display all completed repeated rows within a survey instead of having them stacked (1 of x)? The number of fish recorded at a site varies between 1 and ~100. I am using a grid formatted survey to replicate the field crews current data collection form. Attached is a screen capture of a simplified table example. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

26 Replies
TristanGingras-Hill
New Contributor II

I am also getting error mistakes, particularly with the join statement in veg_html_rows. Any suggestions? Is there a missing coma?

Thank you

0 Kudos
JesseKalwij1
New Contributor III

I managed to get it to work. Note that you also need to increase the length of the bind::esri:fieldLength column to fit all characters of your html table.  The attached xlsx form is still very much a work in progress, but you can hopefully find what you need in there.

LynnKanieski1
New Contributor

Curious what you did to get this to work.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
StrathconaBTS
New Contributor III

Hello folks - looks like there is a lot of interest in displaying repeats in an HTML Table. I've attached an export of the form for the repeat section plus the extra logic that ensures there is a record for at least one of each type. Happy Survey123ing!

BentonPolasky
New Contributor

This is incredible. I am in the process of fine tuning our S123 connect form for vegetation surveys and have been trying to find a way to display collected inventories on the form in an orderly fashion. I am going to give this a shot. Much obliged. 

0 Kudos
DuncanKinnear
New Contributor III

I'm in the process of creating a (somewhat clunky) workaround to this for our flora sampling form, which allows the user to update heights and cover % in a grid-like table underneath the repeat. 

This relies on creating duplicate height and cover questions for each possible repeat (which will be null-type fields), outside of the repeat. The height and cover values within the repeat then update based on what is entered in these duplicate fields, using a javascript function, or a complex if statement. I'm trying to build a string to reference the correct field based on repeat number (see this post: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/method-to-build-a-string-to-reference-anoth...), but haven't worked that out yet. Note that i'm still showing height and cover within the repeat in the screenshot below, but I will probably hide these fields eventually.

The summary table species names update using the indexed-repeat function.

In my example below I only have 3 species, i'd imagine that by going up to 50 or 100 performance may suffer (and we'll need a lot of extra fields in the XLSform), but we shall see if this works... Either way it will save time on our current process of scrolling back through each repeat to find the right species..

DuncanKinnear_0-1642645015876.png

DuncanKinnear_1-1642645534900.png

Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

Duncan, our biologists are asking for this feature for their veg surveys. Have you had any luck fleshing out this approach? If so, I'd love to borrow from your work! 

0 Kudos
DuncanKinnear
New Contributor III

Hey, sorry I never got back to you. I ended up giving up on this workaround - it became way too clunky and slow when I scaled up to 50 or so repeats (which we often have a need for). We've settled for an HTML summary table which displays below the repeats as suggested by @StrathconaBTS (thanks!), but is not editable. Still major improvements to be made here as our field teams still need to scroll through each repeat to find the right record.. Hoping ESRI will improve this functionality soon otherwise we may need to use alternative software.

Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

No problem. We tested out your approach for 100 repeats and also concluded that it was too slow. Also, when the user updated data in the tabular view, they still needed to click through all of the repeats at the end for the values to be updated in the actual repeat records. 

0 Kudos
SamuelSchneider
New Contributor III

Hey Duncan, I am curious about your approach to an editable table inside of your survey. I will never need more than 20 repeats and I was wondering if you would be willing to assist me in that development?

Thanks, Sam

0 Kudos