Is Survey123 limited to 1 Power Automate webhook per survey?

686
7
Jump to solution
06-02-2021 09:40 AM
erica_tefft
Occasional Contributor III

@IsmaelChivite 

I am wondering if there has been a change to webhooks from Power Automate with Survey123.

Previously, I was able to create multiple webhooks per survey in Power Automate. I'd created them in Power Automate and then see multiple webhooks listed in Survey123 > Settings > Webhooks. Now, when I create my second webhook it appears to 'overwrite' the original. This behavior occurs when working in the same tenant or when migrating webhooks between tenants (Dev to Prod, for example). 

Has anyone experienced this?

I had originally posted this question here in February 2021, but received no response other than from @MATTHEWMERCURIO  who says he is also experiencing this issue. 

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Erica
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erica_tefft
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick 

I've been doing testing. I am unsure if this is because I am rusty, but I was able to figure this out. After creating my first flow, I opened Survey123 > Settings > Webhook and renamed the default "MS-FLOW" to "MS-FLOW-webhook1" and saved it. Then, I created a second webhook and saved it. When I refreshed Survey123 > Settings > Webhooks, a second flow named "MS-FLOW" was listed. 

So, it seems changing the name works. I don't remember doing this in the past, but maybe I am just out of practice!

Erica

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @erica_tefft ,

Apologies for the delay in response.  I am able to successfully create multiple webhooks on a single survey using Power Automate.  Can you be more specific about the issue you are seeing?

0 Kudos
erica_tefft
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick ,

Here are some more details on what I am experiencing:

1. Open Power Automate and create a new Flow for a survey. Build out the Flow's steps and save. 

2. Go to my survey and view it's Settings > Webhooks page. The webhook is there with the correct timestamp listed. It's name is just MS-FLOW. 

3. Test survey/webhook - it runs as expected. 

4. Go back to Power Automate and build a second Flow for the same survey; this Flow does something different. Save it. 

5. Go back to my survey, view it's Settings > Webhooks page (refresh it). There is still only one webhook listed, however the timestamp has updated to when I just saved my second flow in step 3. There is still only 1 Flow, with the name MS-FLOW. There is no second flow appearing in the list. 

6. Test survey/webhook - it performs the action of the second webhook (step 4) and not the action of the first webhook (step 1). 

This behavior started happening in February for me. I've been trying to figure out what has happened, but I haven't changed anything in my workflow for creating webhooks through Power Automate. There has been some behind-the-scenes stuff happening with Office 365 administration in my agency and I am no privy to what they are doing/how they are changing things. I am unsure if that could be part of the reason I am experiencing these problems. 

I am happy to do a screen share to show you exactly what I am experiencing. There was also someone else who said they were experiencing this too - I tagged him above in the original post. 

Erica 

Erica
0 Kudos
erica_tefft
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick 

I've been doing testing. I am unsure if this is because I am rusty, but I was able to figure this out. After creating my first flow, I opened Survey123 > Settings > Webhook and renamed the default "MS-FLOW" to "MS-FLOW-webhook1" and saved it. Then, I created a second webhook and saved it. When I refreshed Survey123 > Settings > Webhooks, a second flow named "MS-FLOW" was listed. 

So, it seems changing the name works. I don't remember doing this in the past, but maybe I am just out of practice!

Erica
0 Kudos
abureaux
Occasional Contributor III

Just to hopefully close this one off for anyone else browsing, I believe what you experienced was a bug in Power Automate. Earlier this year, something happened and we were limited to a single Webhook. That issue resolved itself a while back and now things should be working normally (i.e., no limit to the number of Flows and webhooks you can create in Power Automate for a single survey).

LeilaJackson1
Occasional Contributor

I am still experiencing this issue.

 

0 Kudos
abureaux
Occasional Contributor III

I just tested this out with my set-up and things appear to be working as expected at this time:

abureaux_0-1643387203137.png

I am using Enterprise 10.9 with a custom ArcGIS connector. If you are using AGO, there is a connector built into Power Automate. Both should work the same though. Just ensure you use the correct trigger for your environment (for example, I have three custom ArcGIS connectors for various test environments. I selected the wrong connector once and couldn't figure out why it wasn't triggering my flow. Sigh)

Before a webhook is added, the flow needs to be saved and turned on. A new flow that is off will not add a webhook.

Beyond that, I am not sure what would be causing this behaviour. MS doesn't have a uniform environment though, so it is fully possible they are testing something. In which case, this should hopefully clear itself up.

0 Kudos
LeilaJackson1
Occasional Contributor

I am using AGO with the Survey123 connector in Power Automate. It appears the webhook is always named the same thing MS-FLOW, so when you create a 2nd webhook it overwrites the first webhook in ArcGIS for Survey123. If you change the name of the 1st webhook, then the 2nd webhook is created, the 1st doesn't get overwritten. Obviously, this is not an optimal workflow. Having updated the names the notifications are working "sort of". Sometimes both notifications get sent and sometimes they don't which is very frustrating.

0 Kudos