Is it possible to pre-answer a geopoint question base have a drop down that lists office names and I would like to automatically capture the address of the office based off the answer to the drop down. Is this possible in Survey123? I know Survey123 autom

Jump to solution
03-16-2020 05:49 AM
Bryan_Wade
Occasional Contributor

I have a drop down question in survey123 that lists office locations. I would like to prepopulate a geopoint question using lat/longs for those locations. The geopoint question would be based off the answer from the drop down.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Wade, Bryan‌,

I don't think you can use the geopoint in the way you want to. If you don't include a geopoint field it will automatically capture the location of the device when the survey is completed.

You could create a single choice list which contains the office locations. Then have a calculated field based on the office choice that stores the lat,lon. You could then pull the data into Pro and calculate the coordinates off the new field.

Happy to discuss further.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenTurrell

Hey Wade, Bryan‌,

I don't think you can use the geopoint in the way you want to. If you don't include a geopoint field it will automatically capture the location of the device when the survey is completed.

You could create a single choice list which contains the office locations. Then have a calculated field based on the office choice that stores the lat,lon. You could then pull the data into Pro and calculate the coordinates off the new field.

Happy to discuss further.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Wade, Bryan‌,

You could also try this:

Starting at Survey123 3.0, geopoint questions include geosearch functionality, allowing users to search for an address or point of interest and have the map zoom to and place the geopoint marker at this location. To use this functionality, select the map in the survey to open a full geopoint view. Type the desired address or location in the text box at the top of the screen, select the correct result from the autocomplete results, and the map will zoom to its location.

The full geopoint view is also capable of reverse geocoding, to display the details of your geopoint. To do this, either press and hold on the location on your map, or press and hold on the coordinate display at the bottom of the screen. The location will be printed above the coordinate display. The reverse geocoded location won't be submitted with your survey response.

By default, the geosearch functionality returns results from the entire world, using ArcGIS World Geocoder to search for the addresses. These options can be changed by pressing the globe option to the left of the search box. This opens a dialog box allowing you to change the search mode between Search everywhere and Search within the visible map extents, or to accept Map coordinate input only. You can also choose to use any geocoder available to your organization, for both geosearching and reverse geocoding. If you're not signed in, you'll only have access to ArcGIS World Geocoder.

Thanks,

Ben

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bryan,

Please refer to the 'Calculate Location from a choice list' and 'Calculate Location from a CSV file' samples available via Survey123 Connect.  I would suggest the CSV file example in particular is the easier to set up and maintain.

0 Kudos