Is anyone else experincing issues with submitting surveys after switching to Intune MDM?

09-22-2022 11:04 AM
LindsayKing1
New Contributor III

Our mobile workforce uses iPads with a combination of ArcGIS Field Maps and Survey123 to conduct hundreds field inspections daily.  For the past year or two, our organization has been using AirWatch as our MDM without issue.  But in the past couple of months, our IT department has started switching these iPads over from AirWatch to Intune.  For the field staff who have made the switch, many have reported issues with submitting their surveys from within Survey123.  They are in the mountain area so they mostly work offline and often will have dozens of surveys to submit at the end of the day.  All their surveys have at least 2 photo attachments, but may have up to 10.  Before switching to Intune, they didn't report any issues submitting surveys.  Since the change to Intune, they say submitting surveys often fails.  They'll go into their outbox at the end of the day and submit their surveys, but often when they check their device later that evening or the next day, the surveys haven't submitted.

We have some downstream processes that need to happen shortly after each inspection is conducted, so having a delay in the surveys getting submitted is causing some issues for our workflow.

I understand from this document that deployment of Survey123 with MDM solutions like Intune is not supported by Esri Technical Support, but it is expected to work just like apps that are deployed independently.

Have any other organizations out there made the switch to Intune?  If so, has Survey123's behavior changed for your field staff since the switch?

3 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @LindsayKing1

What is the exact error that the users are reporting? Is your survey located in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise? I know you mentioned submission fails often, does this mean some submissions will go through and will fail at some point or do all submissions fail? 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
LindsayKing1
New Contributor III

Hi Zach,

Thank you for your reply.  I checked back in with one of the officers who initially reported this issue, but at this point they say the only problem they are having is that they are no longer able to browse to photos on the device and add them to Survey123.  Since moving to InTune, they are only able to add photos using the camera option within Survey123 instead of loading in existing photos.  I've reached out to our IT department to see if there is a setting within the InTune configuration that could be responsible.

Thank you again,

Lindsay

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @LindsayKing1

If the issue is when selecting images while filling out the survey and not an error on survey submission the issue may be a device permission issue. I would suggesting having them ensure that Survey123 has permissions to the devices photo gallery

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos