Inbox Functionality with Relevant Questions

Jump to solution
07-30-2019 09:30 AM
IngridAldridge1
New Contributor III

I have a number of surveys which use the relevant functionality.  I would like to transition some of them into surveys which allow for the updating of information now that the data has been collected.  However, I am finding that if a relevant function is applied to a question the existing data is not populated.  It appears to be a situation where the data from a feature is loaded into a survey where possible.  If a relevant question is initial hidden the existing data will not appear even after the relevant criteria are met. 

Specifically, I have a survey where the user can update the features of an asset for a number of reasons.  If works have been carried out they are allowed to update some fields.  If they are doing a principal inspection they can update all of the fields.  However, I don't know what kind of inspection they are doing until they start... So, questions are initially hidden because the correct type of inspection has not been selected. 

I don't want to show all the questions all the time as that removes a significant amount of elegance to the solution.  Is there any way to get the survey to retrieve the values after the feature service has loaded from the inbox?

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ingrid,

The behaviour with questions that are not relevant on load is expected. We do not store values for questions that are not relevant nor do we submit them. So if you are opening a survey from the Inbox, and want to load existing data into fields, you need to ensure the questions related to those fields are relevant. If at any stage you make those questions not relevant, the values will be removed.

You may need to use a different set of surveys for your workflows, so that the ones that are for Inbox editing, have the questions all relevant that you want to edit. That way the original survey does not have Inbox enabled, but the additional surveys do, and can have different questions and rules set up.

Phil.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ingrid,

The behaviour with questions that are not relevant on load is expected. We do not store values for questions that are not relevant nor do we submit them. So if you are opening a survey from the Inbox, and want to load existing data into fields, you need to ensure the questions related to those fields are relevant. If at any stage you make those questions not relevant, the values will be removed.

You may need to use a different set of surveys for your workflows, so that the ones that are for Inbox editing, have the questions all relevant that you want to edit. That way the original survey does not have Inbox enabled, but the additional surveys do, and can have different questions and rules set up.

Phil.

IngridAldridge1
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the quick response.  That was what I was afraid of.  It's the answer I expected as I'd done a fair bit of testing first but not the one I hoped for.  really wanted a magic wand for this one.

Anyway, I can make it work! 

Thanks,

Ingrid

0 Kudos
HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @IngridAldridge1  and @Anonymous User ,

I believe there is a way around: not using the 'relevant' field.

• Anything that should be masked at collect-time could be dealth with the 'esri::body::visible' column (instead of 'relevant')
  • At update-time, the values will be available to the user.

From the user endpoint, the form behavious is identical (what should be masked is masked)

0 Kudos