Image captions not showing?

Jump to solution
02-25-2022 09:34 AM
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi folks,

I've just added some new photos to a survey form I'm developing and the captions aren't appearing above these new photos. 

There are two images that were previously existing and copied into the current survey version and those are showing captions properly (see 'An adult little tern mobbing a kestrel with a hatchling in its talons' and the logo in the screenshot attached).  I've attached an excerpt of this section of the XLS form, in which Photos 55-61 are new and not showing the caption, and Photo_1 and the logo are the previously existing images which are properly displaying the captions above these images.

I've set up the new ones exactly the same but the caption above the images is blank. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SaraMiller,

There appears to be missing closing tags with many of your HTML throughout the survey. For example the closing font tag </font> is missing on many of your labels. Also you are using line breaks in the xlsx sheet cells, but there is no <br> tag and closing tag, you should use proper HTML break tags, not just enter key in a cell in xlsx file.

Also I notice you are using the center tag, note this is not supported in HTML5 and not supported in Survey123. Please see list of supported HTML tags here:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/styleyourform.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2BDD80200...

You can also refer to the center tag being deprecated several years ago here:

https://www.w3docs.com/learn-html/html-center-tag.html

Once you fix up the HTML it will work as expected. While some of these may have worked in the past, with each update we use newer versions of the underlying frameworks and libraries, so in some cases these become more strict and follow the exact supported syntax, meaning what was wrong before but worked, now may no longer work.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SaraMiller,

Was this working with 3.13 release and is now only not working in recent 3.14 update? Or did this problem exist before?

Are you publishing from Connect, if so what version was the survey last published with? And on what devices are you using the field app?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User ,

I'm using S123 Connect to publish, and it looks like I'm on Version 3.11.123, so haven't made any updates in a while so the original would've also been published from this same version.

Devices will include Android and iOS, and possibly other devices that users may have, but the photo captions aren't even showing up in S123 Connect right now.

Many thanks,

Sara

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SaraMiller,

I assume the iOS and Android devices are now on the the latest 3.14 version released last week?

Have you tried to republish with 3.14 Connect (or create a new copy for testing of the survey) to see if that fixes the issue?

Can you send your XLSForm (xlsx file and any media/scripts folder files)? This way we can try and reproduce the issue with you exact survey and images.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User,

I don't think the S123 field app versions are relevant as the issue is in Connect.  I've just updated to v. 3.14.256 and still no photo captions except on the original two photos, as shown in previous screenshot.  My XLSForm says it's template version 3.13.  I've attached the XLSForm and tried to attach the media folder (contents).

Kind regards,

Sara

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SaraMiller,

There appears to be missing closing tags with many of your HTML throughout the survey. For example the closing font tag </font> is missing on many of your labels. Also you are using line breaks in the xlsx sheet cells, but there is no <br> tag and closing tag, you should use proper HTML break tags, not just enter key in a cell in xlsx file.

Also I notice you are using the center tag, note this is not supported in HTML5 and not supported in Survey123. Please see list of supported HTML tags here:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/styleyourform.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2BDD80200...

You can also refer to the center tag being deprecated several years ago here:

https://www.w3docs.com/learn-html/html-center-tag.html

Once you fix up the HTML it will work as expected. While some of these may have worked in the past, with each update we use newer versions of the underlying frameworks and libraries, so in some cases these become more strict and follow the exact supported syntax, meaning what was wrong before but worked, now may no longer work.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Aw, thank you so much, @Anonymous User!  I'll make the corrections and get back to you on my impending success.

UPDATE:  following this format has worked to make the caption appear above a photo

<p style="text-align:center"><i>Blah Blah caption text</i></p>

Thanks so much,

Sara