I am struggling to set up a pre populated select_one question with information for a CSV hosted on ArcOnline

Jump to solution
05-31-2023 03:47 AM
EdHixson
New Contributor III

Hi all

I am trying to prepopulated a question with codes from a CSV which is hosted within our ArcOnline Portal. I have tried to set this up using a guide where this was used.

I have linked the CSV in Survey123 connect but am not sure what I am doing wrong. Equally I was unsure if a URL was require somewhere in here but I cant find a correct URL on the hosted CSV feature. Any advice would be appreciated

select_one SEWATCODEProject_CodeSEW/WAT code:  autocomplete search('SEWATCODE')yes

This is required

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Regarding the "only label in the dropdown thing", make sure your CSV has the correct column headers, specifically name and label, all lowercase.

Katherine_Clark_0-1685540342399.png

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EdHixson
New Contributor III

EdHixson_0-1685535372412.png

A little bit of progress, it is now just saying "label" for all of the values, I have tweaked where it was pulling the data form now within the linked content to the correct CSV file after downloading it through the linked content into the media.

I believe everything I have got set up in the choice is correct so am unsure why Label is the only option, especially since I have not mentioned label anywhere

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

It's hard to help without seeing your survey XLS and your external choice list. You need to set it up using the external choice from CSV method, publish your survey, then follow the instructions for linking your CSV.

Tricks of the Trade: External Choices

- Jen
EdHixson
New Contributor III

Thank you for sharing

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Is SEWATCODE the name of the csv file?

When using the search appearance, you must still include an entry on the choices worksheet, but instead of listing each of the choices, you will reference the field name from the existing feature layer or table.

The way you configured your question at the moment it would look for the csv file called SEWATCODE and you would have a choice list in your choices sheet that is called SEWATCODE with the name and label field filled with the column name that you want to use to fill your choices.

EdHixson
New Contributor III

ahhh yea i see, I had the AGOL name of the CSV and not the name of the CSV. Thank you

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Regarding the "only label in the dropdown thing", make sure your CSV has the correct column headers, specifically name and label, all lowercase.

Katherine_Clark_0-1685540342399.png

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
EdHixson
New Contributor III

Hi Kathrine

Thank you for this, this is the first place ive found that mentions that you have to Name, Label as the column headers instead of your own choice of name.

Cheers

-Ed

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

It's also the first time that I see this. I believe if the CSV file does not have the name and label columns that you have to give the column name that has your choices in the name and label field in the choices sheet.

0 Kudos