How to view data in repeat fields.

05-17-2016 11:14 AM
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

I have a survey123 form with five repeat groups. The only why I have been able to view the data in the repeat groups is to download the CSV files. However I get five CSV files from the one survey form (One for each repeat group). The data is really cumbersome to work with and understand in this manner. Is there a better way to view this data? If not, will there be a better way to view data in repeated groups in the future? Ideally, I would like to be able to view the data from the repeated fields on the "data" portion of the website (The page with the map and geo-points with the table under it). Would I be better off using some type of excel macro to merge the CSV files?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jonathan Pendleton​  We just added support to view related information in the survey123.arcgis.com web site. Make sure you clear your browser cache before you try:

1- Go into survey123.arcgis.com and login

2- Click on your survey and go to the data tab

3- Click on the row you are interested (in the table) and your related records will show at the bottom

If things do not work for you, please send your XLS file along with an export of your data in file geodatabase format so we can give it a try. If you do not want to attach your data to a comment in GeoNet, please send the XLS file and FileGDB to us at survey123@esri.com referencing this thread (so we can have some context). Thanks a lot.

JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

Ismael,

This solution did not work for me. I followed all three of your steps including clearing my browser cache. All I get at the bottom of the data page is redundant data from my first repeat group called "secondary". I have attached the files you asked for, along with a screenshot of the type of data I am seeing at the bottom of the page.

Thanks,
Jonathan Pendleton

0 Kudos
RogerYoung1
New Contributor III

Jonathan,

If you have MS Access you can import the tables into an Access DB, set up the relationships and create a form to view the data in about 15 minutes (unless you have additional attachments, then it gets a little ugly). It's a quick way to be able to work with your data.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Roger. We will look into this. The screenshot helps a lot understanding the issue, and the data also helps quite a bit.

While we resolve the data duplication in the different repeats, you can try to download the data as Roger suggests above.

If you want to get the images out, you may also  want to try the Python script referenced in this blog post: Downloading data captured with Survey123 for ArcGIS

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Jonathan Pendleton​ It looks like the issue with the duplicates may be due to a badly-formed feature service. Before the 1.4 release, Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS was not uniquely registering related tables. This was not an issue in Surveys with a single repeat, but in cases like yours, where you have multiple, it is an issue.  I wanted to ask you to use Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS version 1.4.30 to publish your XLS file again. Then populate a couple of entries with the field app and go back to the web site to check if the data is being duplicated.  I did some testing with your own XLS file and I got no duplication of data in the repeats when using 1.4.

JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

Thank you very much Ismael and Roger! This fixed my issue. The extra info you both provided will definitely prove useful.

0 Kudos
Pauline_Low_Pui_Ling
New Contributor II

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could access the data in repeat fields of survey123 using Python API? I always managed to get the object ID for the repeat fields but could not access the row data for each of the repeat fields...

Hope to hear from anyone who has managed to do it.

Thanks,

Pauline

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you calling the {relationship/0/field} items?  If so they only give you count, sum, min max, etc of the field.  They do not return data just a summary.  

I do it with Arcade with a query to the other layers.  Does not work offline in Collector yet but in web maps no problem.

https://community.esri.com/thread/246159-any-plans-to-let-collector-see-123-data-while-offline 

You could do something similar in the API.  Basically do your own lookup query with the Key.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos