¿How to send data from a form made with Survey123 to an Oracle database?

Jump to solution
11-03-2022 01:17 PM
ksmoreno
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

I have a question.

If I want to save the data of a form made with Survey123 when I press "submit" in an oracle database, how would it be done?

Likewise, how would it be done if I want to read data I have in an oracle database and put them as answer options in a question I ask.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @ksmoreno

You would need an ArcGIS Enterprise organization, the Oracle database Geodatabase enabled, and registered with your ArcGIS Enterprise organization. From there you can publish your data as a feature service to your ArcGIS Enterprise organization and point your survey to that feature service. In this scenario when you submit a survey from Survey123 the data will be sent directly back to your Oracle database. 

As for populating answers based on the data from the Oracle database assuming the same configuration as above you can enable the Inbox on your Survey123 survey and will allow the ability to edit the existing data in the database. If you don't want to edit the existing data but want the same data in a new table/layer you can publish your data as a feature class like before but still keep your Survey123 survey pointing to a different feature service. From there with our 3.16 release of Survey123 we released a feature called pulldata(@layer) that let's you query data from another feature service to pull into your survey. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @ksmoreno

You would need an ArcGIS Enterprise organization, the Oracle database Geodatabase enabled, and registered with your ArcGIS Enterprise organization. From there you can publish your data as a feature service to your ArcGIS Enterprise organization and point your survey to that feature service. In this scenario when you submit a survey from Survey123 the data will be sent directly back to your Oracle database. 

As for populating answers based on the data from the Oracle database assuming the same configuration as above you can enable the Inbox on your Survey123 survey and will allow the ability to edit the existing data in the database. If you don't want to edit the existing data but want the same data in a new table/layer you can publish your data as a feature class like before but still keep your Survey123 survey pointing to a different feature service. From there with our 3.16 release of Survey123 we released a feature called pulldata(@layer) that let's you query data from another feature service to pull into your survey. 

Thank you,
Zach
ksmoreno
New Contributor

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
SusanMathai
New Contributor III

@ZacharySutherby can we read column attribute from oracle table into the survey123 forms Or is it that it can read only lookup tables? if so how can we do it please can you provide some examples.

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @SusanMathai

Survey123 supports custom JavaScript functions that can be used to extract information from different API sources. If your Oracle database has an API that is accessible from Survey123 on the devices it's intended to be used on, you can interact with that API using a JavaScript function. 

I'm not sure if column attributes can be exposed in an Enterprise Geodatabase and ultimately Feature service, the folks on the ArcGIS Enterprise or Pro side may be able to help answer that question. But if that information can be present in a feature service you can use the pulldata("@layer") workflow to extract the information.  

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos