Select to view content in your preferred language

How to direct survey123 answers to one field

02-05-2018 04:01 PM
JoelMcKechnie1
Occasional Contributor

I currently have 37 'select one' questions, and want to redirect the answers into three fields. I've done this because there are 182 possible answers, but at the moment they are split into 37 fields and I would like to simplify the output and make it more useable.

Is there are a way to do this?

I've attached the survey form, built with Survey123 Connect, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joel,

I have had a look at your survey and think what you are wanted to achieve is possible in 2 different ways.

When you say "redirect the answers into three fields" what exactly do you mean? Is there only ever one answer for each of the 3 fields. If so then you could make all the current questions you have use a null esri field type (so they will not be stored in feature service), and then create 3 new text fields which are for the final choices to be stored. You can then use a number of nested if statements in the calculation to only display the values that are selected (not null).

Alternatively, depending on the way you are set up your choice lists, have you tried using cascading selects and external choice lists to achieve this (via the choice filter column)? To do this you would only need 3 questions and 3 choice lists, and each would have a choice filter based on previous choice list. This would simplify your survey a lot for the same outcome.

Regards,

Phil.

JoelMcKechnie1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Philip. I did end up change the design a lot to utilise choice filtering. I will have a play with the null field type method next time.