Has anyone used tablets with no GPS and had issues?

08-11-2020 12:11 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are getting reports of 123 crashing a lot.   After much back and forth it seems that the contractors bought iPads with no GPS.  I knew the Air and Mini wifi only had no GPS but it turns out all wifi only iPads do not have a GPS, even the $800-1000 Pro.  This was a surprise as almost all Androids have one.  You must buy the cell service version to get the GPS since they seem to be on the same chip.

Crashes seem to occur when trying to type in manual coordinates into the map.  Happens connected to wifi and not.  Has anyone seen this before?  It seems like the crashing is mostly an issue in 3.10 that just came out last week.

They are buying new iPads now but it will take some time.  This is partially a heads up to others that there is no GPS on wifi only ipads, and if you try to use them them without, it may crash on you.

We are also getting reports of 123 going to a white screen and just sitting there.  We are still testing to have an exact flow.  But it seems to be if you open with wifi and 123 finds an update.  If you skip the update, then go offline, then launch from Collector you get a white screen.  I am still trying to recreate but never heard of the white screen before.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

I have an iPad which is Wifi only and have not seen any issues with 3.10 and crashes when using geopoint questions. Does this happen on all surveys, or just particular surveys? Do the geopoint questions have defaults, calculations or use pulldata? Can you reproduce on those iPads with a simple survey that just has a plain geopoint question when you type in the coordinates? What OS version are the iPads running?

As for the white screen, does this happen on all devices and all OS, or just on iOS devices above? It could be related to the URL scheme and update survey notification that is waiting for a response as there is a check when opening a survey from URL scheme to check if there is an update available, but as you are offline this would not occur. As a workaround you could enable the "require survey update" to always ensure the survey is up to date before going offline.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is just a straight geopoint question.  It pulls lat/longs from it is all into note fields.  Have you tested collect a form, save as draft or sent, re-open and try to change?  All while offline of course.  But also test collect offline and then reopen and change while online.

I am still working on the white screen issue.  The crew is really remote so hard to talk to them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your additional workflow, can you share your xlsx file so I can see if it is the pulldata on the geopoint you are using causing the issue when offline?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos