Getting "SSL handshake failed" error when connecting to Survey123

06-29-2022 12:25 PM
DiegoDelFuente
New Contributor

Hi,
Need some hints regarding the issues when trying to connect to the Survey123 account.

So, got a new laptop with Survey123 installed. Have also an old machine with the same installation - both most updated versions of Survey123. Both Win10s.

However, I'm getting the handshake error on my new machine. When connection via the browser - everything works fine.

Any help where I should look at or what can I do to resolve this error?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ElizabethLorenaRodriguez
New Contributor III

Hello @DiegoDelFuente 

Are you trying to login in ArcGIS online or Portal for ArcGIS ?

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Good question. To add some more:

• What version of Survey123?
  • Are you signing into Survey123 Connect or the field app?
  • What version of Portal for ArcGIS (if relevant)?
  • Any difference in the Portal URL entered into the app?

Documentation indicates it's typically a server-side certificate issue, mostly appearing on Android devices. There's a chance that you have a certificate issue on your Enterprise stack, or a local internet setting that needs to be configured to trust the certificate. Knowing the above information + if any additional steps were taken on the other machine will help.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/troubleshootcreatesurveys.htm#ESRI_SECTIO...

0 Kudos
DiegoDelFuente
New Contributor

Will check the version later on today.
I'm using the standard field app - https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/arcgis-survey123/9NBLGGH5WMRR?hl=uk-ua&gl=UA
Do not have any issues with Android or web access. Only some of the laptops running Win10.
So, I assume, the issue is related to some missing / not set up certificate on the laptop itself.
My old laptop works fine, with the same last version of Survey123.
Do you know how it is possible to check the certificates on the target laptop? Or how it can be installed or set up?

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you signing into ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS (as part of ArcGIS Enterprise)?
Have you added a URL to sign in or is it pointing to the default ArcGIS Online?
You shouldn't have certificate issues if it's ArcGIS Online as it'll be trusted by Survey123 by default.

What's the default browser on the laptop?

Maybe try changing the default browser or configuring it to sign in via an external browser.
Or checking the Internet Options on Internet Explorer.

The suggestions are going to differ a lot if you are working with the Esri SaaS ArcGIS Online, or Portal for ArcGIS, as the latter will have certificates managed by your company, not Esri.

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem on a new Windows 10 laptop. 

0 Kudos