Generate Report from Data

Jump to solution
02-22-2017 02:08 AM
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Has anyone any information on reports for Survey123.

I want to generate a report based on the data I have captured in my survey.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

The ability to create custom reports is something we would like to support in the future, but is also a significant amount of work to do so robustly.  As Joe Flannery‌ mentioned, you can export the data from a hosted feature service; while a FGDB is not accessible via Access, you could set the destination of the export to an enterprise GDB (like SQL Server) and that would provide access for reporting from there.  Downloading CSV files would also be an option, especially for simpler surveys (no images and repeats).

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

John, I have the same question, have asked the same question and have seen others ask this question.  I have seen no answers, yet.

James Tedrick has a great script for downloading survey data to an FGDB or SDE (https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/12/14/migrating-data-from-the-survey-feature-s... ) and all the survey data are organized in a beautiful fashion with the featureclass, related tables and relationship classes.  Now how to get it into a report?  Microsoft Access cannot connect to an FGDB.  I have looked at ArcMap Report Wizard, but that is an unfriendly user interface.  I have created a crude report in an ArcMap Layout using dynamic text from the feature attributes and data driven pages.  I'm still floundering with the reporting side of Survey123.

0 Kudos
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I suppose the only thing we can do is download a CSV file of all the data collected, would that be correct?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

The ability to create custom reports is something we would like to support in the future, but is also a significant amount of work to do so robustly.  As Joe Flannery‌ mentioned, you can export the data from a hosted feature service; while a FGDB is not accessible via Access, you could set the destination of the export to an enterprise GDB (like SQL Server) and that would provide access for reporting from there.  Downloading CSV files would also be an option, especially for simpler surveys (no images and repeats).

JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply James.

Is collector any more difficult to use than survey123?

Anyone have any pros and cons for using collector as opposed to survey123.

JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

John:

We are working with and testing the Collector and Survey123 apps.  What’s nice about Collector is that you can publish a Feature Service, which contains featureclasses stored in a GDB on a SQL Server, from your ArcGIS Server.  Make a map in AGOL with the feature service, connect to the map in Collector and any features created in the field are committed back to your on-prem geodatabase.  Nice!  The downside is that if you want to capture may attributes with your features, as Survey123 is capable of, then you need to go through the process of building many domains and coded values in domains, which is tedious and cumbersome, in my opinion.  We use Collector just for simple point-line-polygon capture with few attributes.

Survey123 is much easier to build, much more configurable and easier to use.  The downside, in my opinion, is that if you make a schema change to your survey after it has been initially deployed to your field staff and they have already gathered some data, you can’t publish your new survey without overwriting you AGOL hosted feature service, thus wiping out your survey data.  Hence, be careful and be sure to copy your AGOL survey data to a backup location prior to publishing a new survey that has a schema change.  James’ script is great for this task.

My thought is that field staff will use both Collector and Survey123 in the field.  Collector to navigate and see project vector data assets if necessary, and Survey123 to gather the laundry list of values required for your form or reports.

Your CSV question – If you use Repeats or a Photos item in your survey, the CSV download contains your tables, but not your relationships between tables, as you get when you download to FGDB.  You also don’t get your photos in a CSV if your survey allows the capture of photos.  I prefer the FGDB format.

Hope this helps,

Joe

JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help Joe.

0 Kudos
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Also James, Am I unable to download as a csv file the data captured using Repeats?

0 Kudos
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

If I export the data to an enterprise GDB using the script, will the Repeat data be exported to the enterprise GDB also?

0 Kudos