Select to view content in your preferred language

Filter Data before exporting to File Geodatabase

Jump to solution
12-28-2023 05:52 AM
Bryan_Wade
Frequent Contributor

My agency is working on sharing survey123 damage assessment data with FEMA. The plan is to do this using a file geodatabase format so that the images will be included. We have a few fields specific to our agency that will not match up with the FEMA fields. Does anyone know if it is possible to filter the survey123 data before exporting it as a file geodatabase in Survey123? Or do I need to bring the data into ArcGIS Pro, filter it, and then create the file geodatabase? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

You could create a hosted feature layer view of your data exclusively for this purpose, and hide the fields that FEMA doesn't require in this view.  Once you've created the view and hidden the fields, you'd have two options:

• Exporting the view as a FGDB and sending it to FEMA, or
  • Sharing the view with FEMA so they have access to the data as a service rather than as an export

Sharing the data as a view rather than as a FGDB means they'd have immediate access to new data, you wouldn't have to send them updates as new data is created or updated.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Not sure if it's possible from the S123 page, but I think Pro is definitely easier in any case; the Export Data tool includes a SQL filter.

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You can filter records before exporting by applying a filter within the Survey123 website. 

However, it sounds like you're not looking to filter out certain records, but certain attributes (fields), is that correct? If so, then I believe you'll have to export the fgdb as usual and then delete fields before you share the data. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

You could create a hosted feature layer view of your data exclusively for this purpose, and hide the fields that FEMA doesn't require in this view.  Once you've created the view and hidden the fields, you'd have two options:

• Exporting the view as a FGDB and sending it to FEMA, or
  • Sharing the view with FEMA so they have access to the data as a service rather than as an export

Sharing the data as a view rather than as a FGDB means they'd have immediate access to new data, you wouldn't have to send them updates as new data is created or updated.