Fill out a survey invoking information from another survey

07-17-2020 09:13 AM
EnriqueAlfonso
New Contributor II

Would It be possible that a user can fill out a survey that takes information that have been already sent from another user in another survey?

Let say that a manager send a a survey with a purchase order. That information will have to be used by another worker who has the job of verify that everything has been bought correctly and he will have to send the invoices through another survey.

In addition, both surveys would be linked by an unique ID that every purchase order would have. Like that he would not need to write again all the list of materials that has been sent by the manager and the different fields that both surveys would have in common could be linked by the ID.

It would be something like the inbox functionality but between different surveys.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Enrique,

Yes, this is possible.  Generally, I would go about doing this by creating a form for each stage of the process; stages after the first would use the Inbox functionality to edit the existing data (or use the ?mode=edit URL parameter if working with the web form).  A couple of resources;
- Documentation: Prepare for editing existing survey data

- Video: Advanced XLSForm techniques (DevSummit 2020) - the first segment talks about multi-step workf...

0 Kudos
EnriqueAlfonso
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Thank you for your answer.

I've seen the links you've sent me, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for.
Using this methodology it is possible to receive information from another Survey, however when the information is modified, it is modified in the database of both surveys, not only in the second survey.

Is there a way to add a constraint so that it does not modify the survey data from where the data is being obtained?
Also, I would like that in the database of the second survey only the data appear as they are modified, not that they appear automatically as they are sent from the first survey. Would It be possible?

I think maybe for what I'm looking for I would have to use the pulldata function invoking somehow the information from the other survey. In the video you sent they do something similar with a car database from a web page. For this they use JavaScript, however I am not familiar with this language, is there a model script to carry out this process that I can use?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Enrique,

In that case, you would want 2 completely separated surveys.  It is possible to create a second survey using data from another via URL parameters or, when released with 3.10, a custom JavaScript function.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked at Workforce?  I think it is made for this but not sure.

0 Kudos
EnriqueAlfonso
New Contributor II

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your answer.

With Workforce, I was able to invoke information in Survey from Workforce data, but not information from another Survey.

0 Kudos