Feature Report Photo Parsing Error - "Failed to parse ${photo1.1}"

10-14-2020 03:52 PM
PCCFT_Admin
New Contributor

I keep receiving "Error: An error occurred when checking the report template. Failed to parse ${photo1.1}" when attempting to upload and generate a customized report template.

When I upload a sample template, with no edits made at all, I receive the same message.

Once I remove any mention of photos in the report template (${photo1.1}, ${photo1.2}, etc), it does create feature report.

Thus, I believe there's an issue with the photos.

A previous thread noted that there's known technical bug when the field name of the photos (photo1.1, photo1.2, etc.) begins with the same word as the repeat field name ("photo_point_repeat"). However, this bug should have already been fixed.
https://community.esri.com/thread/229725-survey-123-report-template-error-failed-to-parsedoes-not-ex...

Any insight and advice would be appreciated -- thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Could you upload your XLS form so we can look into it further? It looks like the one that is attached is an empty template XLS.

Thank you,
-Barbara

0 Kudos
PCCFT_Admin
New Contributor

Hi Barbara,

The file is attached below.

Since the survey was a test trial and we only had 1 recorded response, I copied and pasted all of data within my original file to a next Excel sheet. I did this to rename the field names of my repeats, and to ensure that the photo field names within these repeats did not start with the same word. I published as a new survey, and everything works swimmingly.

Here is the new Excel sheet if you are still interested.

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad to hear you got it working!

I suspect the issue may have been with the "." in ${photo1.1}, ${photo1.2}, etc.

The feature report allows you to reference fields in parent tables using <tablename>.<fieldname>, so it was most likely looking for a repeat named "photo1" and a field named "1," and if those didn't exist that caused an error.

If you take a look at the first note in the Repeats section of the Feature Report Templates Documentation, there is an explanation and example of this functionality.

Thanks,
-Barbara

0 Kudos