External choices for many to one relationship between choice filters of 2 questions

03-09-2022 05:45 AM
Iron_Mark
New Contributor III

Hi,

Hi am trying to understand what is the best way for building a table for a sort of "many to one" relationship between choice filters of 2 questions.

I have a select one question(Question2) that has hundreds of choices. I want these to be filtered by a previous question(Qujestion1).

The previous question(Question1) has hundreds of choices too and some of the choices that I want to display for a particular selection for the Select one question(Question2) I want them displayed in other selection for the previous question (Question1). So choices from Question2 are common to different Answers in Question1 (sort of "many to one")

2 Examples:

1) Answer to Question 1:  ALAB

Filtered choices in Question 2: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

2) Answer to Question 1: BABAC

Filtered choices in Question 2: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

How do I have to set the excel sheet to make this possible? I was thinking using an external choice putting choices in an external csv saved in the media folder, but how do I need to arrange the table?

Keep in mind that both question 1 and 2 choices could be hundreds

Capture.PNG

Is this the right way for doing this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A choice filter just does a match and does not support contains.  See  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-contains-formula-in-choice-filter... 

Then there is the new search appearance.  It only has starts with, ends with, and matches though.  Contains is just for polygon matching.  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/dynamic-choice-lists-using-search-appearance/ba-... 

Every time I have done this I needed to write out the values multiple times.

ALAB  1

ALAB  2

ALAB  3

or not sure I get your ask could be

1  ALAB

2  ALAB

etc.

Sorry but its not going to be easy.  Maybe if you post the real form there is another way to do it.

0 Kudos