Select to view content in your preferred language

Error Code 499 - Gateway Time-out

04-28-2021 12:11 PM
IanPierson
New Contributor II

I have seen other posts with this issue and attempted to follow the advice given in them, but to no avail.  I made sure to update my Survey123 Connect version today (4/28/2021) to the most recent version. I have a huge file/survey. It works how I want it to within Connect but will not publish; I keep getting the 499 error code about a "Gateway Time-out". I have an external choices tab, as most of my surveys do due to the amount of information in them. I cannot figure out the work-around to this error. Apologies for the duplication of questioning when this is brought up enough as it is.

Thanks for your time.

17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't know if a solution has been found or not.  I need a webform that uses a choice list to select state, filter Zipcode by state, and then filter business locations by zipcode.  The USA zipcode list is 33k and business locations 51k.

1.  Can pulldata from a csv file working within a webform?  If so, what is the syntax to make that happen?

2.  What are the limits for a webform using choice lists?

0 Kudos
IanPierson
New Contributor II

Thanks for all the replies and feedback so far. My issue was not fixed when I tried to un-select "Create Web Form", however I just kept trying (after going into arcgis.com and deleting the created folder after each failed attempt), and after several tries, was able to get the survey to publish. I created another form with the same format, but smaller data cache inside the survey and had the same issue; I had to attempt several times and found both times that extremely early in the morning was when I was able to get the surveys published. 

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@IanPierson,

I was able to reproduce the timeout error when publishing your form.  It appears there may be an aspect of your form that is difficult for the webform file (the form definition used by the web form) to process.  In testing with the next version of Survey123 (which we expect to release in late July), I'm not seeing the issue.

I'll also note that the most typical case of this error is normally associated with the number of choices in the choice sheet (external_choices do not factor in on this).  This is one of the reasons external choice lists or CSV files is recommended in the 'External Content' section in the documentation.

RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having the same problem, but have a small choices sheet but large external_choices sheet which has a load of blank rows, that it won't let me delete.

0 Kudos
TMaddio
New Contributor II

Has anyone had any successful work around for this issue?  I'm experiencing the same issue.  I do need my survey to be a web form so the option of publishing without that functionality won't work.  I have an external choice list as well as a pulldata table. My Excel file is over 6mb.

0 Kudos
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

I had a lot of blank rows, once I deleted these it brought the size of the excel file down and I was able to publish.

BrunoGomesdeSouza
New Contributor III

Same problem here!
The most of our employees use the survey web and we are stucked in this error.
It will just be resolved in July?

0 Kudos
RaquelOnofre
New Contributor II

Same problem too... this is tricky, a had to make a copy and publish it.

0 Kudos