Editing Existing Survey Records for Audit Purposes

Jump to solution
06-28-2019 11:45 AM
MelissaWojciuk
New Contributor III

What is the best way to edit completed survey records for accuracy & quality control reasons?  We are completing a field inventory of gas meters (>55,000 meters) and the engineers and project manager would like to check 5% of the surveys submitted for accuracy and quality control/training purposes.  They would like to edit the survey data and change any incorrect information, and then fill out some additional questions as to Audit yes/no, #errors found, comments, and an optional photo. The survey is set up as a related table to an existing feature service (meter points). 

From what I understand, I have two options:

1. Edit the survey info from an AGO web app using a custom URL to open a S123 web form; as described here:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/05/24/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-editing-re...

2. Enable the inbox on the survey.

A.    The potential issue I see with this is that all users would have access to all of the surveys submitted (not just their own).  The project manager would like the inbox restricted so that only a couple people have edit capability to all the surveys.  He is fine w/ users having the ability to edit their own data, but he doesn't want users to be able to edit other's submitted surveys.  The project manager and a couple others would need the ability to edit all users surveys.

Is there a way to use the 'where clause' in the inbox to restrict the inbox to only the Project Manager?

Any suggestions or advice?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you need to use 123?  You can edit all you want in a regular AGOL web map.  You can then control which fields are editable or even show in the pop up. That way they could set their fields and for sure not mess up the original data.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa,

If your survey does not have a repeat, the individual response view in the Data tab of the Survey123 website would be a nice option to edit data. We introduced this capability in the 3.4 release https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/05/24/comet-halley-update-may-23-2019 and enhanced it in the just-released 3.5 version https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/06/28/world-ufo-day-release-35 so that users other than the survey owner can also edit their own records in the same way.

This could save the user from composing the URL to open the web app directly and have appropriate privilege control (only their own records).  Hope this helps.

MelissaWojciuk
New Contributor III

I do not have a repeat in my survey, however is there any way for someone (besides the owner) to edit ALL records, not just their own?  We would like the project manager and a couple engineers to be able to edit all users records. 

Thanks!

Melissa

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for the information. 

If your survey does not contain a repeat, you can currently have two options for editing the existing data:

• As the survey owner, you can edit/delete all the records in the Data tab
  • As a Submitter+Viewer (or fieldworker+stakeholder, the owner needs to share the survey with you from these two perspectives, you can edit/delete your own records in the Data tab.

For now, other users than the owner cannot edit other's data through the UI of the website, to enable this, we also discussed within the development team and evaluate to see if it worths to introduce a third role called Editor in the Collaborate tab of the website, who can have the capability to view/edit/delete all existing data. Is it something can fit your workflow or would you mind sharing more details if there are more requirements in your workflow?

Thanks,

Zhifang

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you need to use 123?  You can edit all you want in a regular AGOL web map.  You can then control which fields are editable or even show in the pop up. That way they could set their fields and for sure not mess up the original data.

MelissaWojciuk
New Contributor III

Hi Doug!

I actually used one of your previous posts (Mapping with S123 within a polygon or Admin Unit) as a guide on how to set up the survey, which was super helpful, so thank you!!   I was just looking at a possible editing process using a web app.  It does seem a little clunky editing the related table. Do you have any suggestions??

Project background: I work for a large utility company, and one of our companies is doing a gas meter field inventory, collecting data on what is actually in the field for each gas meterset (models, materials, shutoff valves, sizes etc).  I created a S123 survey that is a related table to our existing Gas Meter point feature exactly as you laid out in the article above & is related using the global id/GUID field. We are only surveying two areas in the territory to start, one area has 55,000 gas meters, and the second area has over 80,000 meters, and there are around 40 questions to be answered per gas meter. The actual field survey is being completed by external contractors, and the engineers & project managers at my company would like to be able to edit all the users data if they find incorrect data as part of an audit process to catch any mistakes that are possibly being repeated since the external contractors doing the field work are not trained utility workers.

I initially set up the AGO web map with a hosted feature layer view (using a join between the S123 layer and my existing meter feature layer) so that the users can view all the attribute data in one popup (i.e. view the gas meter data and the S123 results), and it also gave me a view of just the meters that have surveys attached. However, the feature layer views are read only, which has been giving me some headaches.

So, my possible workflow for editing the survey data in a web app is:

1. Click on the meter point to be edited & copy the unique meter number

2. Use the search bar to search for the unique meter number (I will point the search to the S123 point)

3. The appropriate S123 point will be selected in the map

4. Open the smart editor from the ellipses in the popup & edit.

I say it's a little confusing to the user as even though I did not include a geopoint in the S123 survey, a point is still created that holds all the S123 attributes. Because the field contractors are using smartphones for the data collection in the field, the S123 point can be offset from the actual meter point by quite a bit.  The easiest way I could think of for the user to make sure they are editing the correct meter is to do a search by the unique number to select the correct S123 point. 

It would be nice to edit from the popup of the existing meter point, but when I follow the related table link at the bottom to view the related table in the popup, the only option I have is to view it in the attribute table.  I don't seem to be able to edit the S123 related table from the popup of my existing gas meter point. (I hope that makes sense!)

This is my first time working with S123, so if you see any errors or issues with my setup or have any comments or suggestions on a better workflow etc, it would be very helpful!

thanks!!

Melissa 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have the relationship class from meter to form you can edit in the popup of the meter.  In the popup for the meters go to configure attributes.  Then way at the bottom you will see all the related fields.  Check the box next to edit on just the ones you want.  See attached

Then have the managers use a different map then the field that is just what they want.

I would not use views or joins at all.  Maybe that is the issue.  Have them both hit the same FC just have 2 diff maps to present it differently. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh and if you want to get fancy I built in QA warnings into the popup using arcade. I query the related for badness then yell at them in Red.

Here is an example that checks the related form for 3 lines - and they must be labeled 1, 2, 3.

if ($feature.EvalStatus == "Eval") {
var sql = "PlotKey = '" + $feature.PlotKey + "'";
var tbl = Filter(FeatureSetByName($map,"LPI"), sql);

var txt = ''
for (var f in OrderBy(tbl,"LineNumber")) {
    txt = txt + f.LineNumber + ' '
}
txt = Left(txt,Count(txt)-1)
if (txt != '1 2 3') {
    return "\n----LPI Line Number Issue! Found: " + txt
}
else {
    return ''
}
}
else {
    return ''
}

Then my popup does this.  Also note I show them how many forms of each are found.  This is easy since it is already built in to the popup.  Just turn on say Objectid and set it to count.

I really wish I could symbolize by this but it makes sense that drawing on a arcade expression would be too slow.

MelissaWojciuk
New Contributor III

Thanks for the fast response! When I configure the pop up of my meter, I don't have the option to Edit any of the related fields.  The box to edit is grayed out and when I turn on the visibility of the related attributes, I just see a 0 or 1.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Weird.  What happens when you click Show Related Records?  Does it find the records?  If not the RC may not be correct.

0 Kudos