Select to view content in your preferred language

Duplicate survey with existing data

12-26-2023 01:39 PM
swhitcombMCC
New Contributor III

I somehow broke a survey, and now I can't submit entries using the Survey123 app. It goes through the motions as if it's updating, but then the data never show up on the map, and the Sent and Inbox entries don't change.

I've given up on trying to fix it, and I just want to create a new survey. But I want to copy over all the existing data from the first survey so they show up in the Inbox and on the map. I want to be able to edit the old data in the field using the app. Is it possible to duplicate this survey and still access the original data?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it's certainly possible to duplicate the whole thing to see if that fixes anything. However, I would check a few other things before giving up.

Can you edit the data using the web app, or is the issue strictly on the mobile app?

If you use Survey123 Connect to create a new form for the existing layer, does that work?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Was the survey created in connect or the web app? And are you using AGO or Enterprise? 
In either case, submitting would either fail, or succeed. As such, it may be worth trying to figure out why things are acting in an unexpected manner. If you are dead set on recreating the survey though, there are two main methods: 

1. create a new survey using your original feature later (in connect, choose the option for an existing feature layer)

2. in your portal, export all the data. In connect, copy your old xlsx to a new survey, and publish it. Then, import your exported data into the newly published survey. 

In both cases, the inbox data will take care of itself by the virtue of being the Inbox.

Depending on your setup, fixing the old survey may be the easiest route. 

0 Kudos
Raul
by
New Contributor III

If you're able to access the original data, I'd make a copy of that onto another hosted feature layer, then configure a new survey to write data to that new layer via submission url.

(Create new survey from Feature Service)

Raul_0-1703786258194.png

0 Kudos