Select to view content in your preferred language

Disadvantages in the latest version of the Survey123 app, the button to capture photos is disabled

Jump to solution
Thursday
JulioDumeynieu
New Contributor II

Dear, note that with the latest version 3.20.65 of the Survey123 app, the button to capture photos or upload an image stopped working, specifically when you want to edit the records from the inbox.

I would appreciate anyone who can provide a solution to this problem.

71844862-6b12-49fa-8ea7-e375dab143c3.jpg

18 Replies
MollyBurton
New Contributor III

We have also been experiencing this and have been added to the Bug.

In the meantime, our users have been using the 3.19.120 desktop version of Survey123 to edit/upload photos to surveys already submitted and pulled back through for editing in the Inbox. That said, it is significantly slowing them down when the photos are stored on their mobile device.

Hoping this gets resolved soon.

0 Kudos
MichaelKohn_PGE
New Contributor II

This work around requires our users to use external apps such as OneDrive or their local camera device to store the photos while performing field work with Survey123. Once the users are back in to office they need to sort through all of their photos and figure out which photos belong to each survey which opens up many ways to make errors when attaching photos to each record. Being able to attach photos directly to each survey was one of our organization's biggest benefits and it's now a wash.

Please consider getting the inbox attachment functionality back to where it was in version 3.19.

Thanks.

GDunnigan
New Contributor

Also wanted to include that File type questions may be experiencing the same thing as the Image type questions.

Assuming its the same issue.

0 Kudos
SMH-Rio
New Contributor III

I think the least ESRI should do is make the old versions available for download.

I think it's absurd that they don't have a repository with links to old versions of applications. And, in these bug situations that paralyze applications around the world, it becomes even more absurd.

LukeKlenotic
New Contributor

We seem to have a functional workaround to this.  Our users are able to attach pictures once the image question is initially visible (will not let them attach), then not visible, then visible again.  We are adjusting relevant formulas on image questions to make this part of the workflow for forms. 

fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @LukeKlenotic ,

I was hoping that your solution would work using body::esri:visible but body::esri:visible still does not support image questions. 😞

I did have your solution work when using a relevant question prior to the image question, even though the interface got a little strange...

To get the image question to 'work', I had to toggle the relevant question (as you stated). By default, the image did not load. When the image question becomes relevant for the second time, it showed me the images from ALL previous questions and I could not add a new image unless I delete the images loaded into that question. This did not actually delete the images, only the copy loaded to the current question. Images do not appear to actually be duplicated in the resulting submission.

Also interesting to me is that the new select_one Yes_No question I added for this has a default value of "Yes" (this question result is not saved in the feature service). While new surveys respected this default value, Inbox surveys opened without respecting the default value of Yes - they had no selected value on that question. I changed the relevant expression to string-length(${please_esri_let_me_add_another_image})!= 2 so that both "Yes" and empty are relevant and then when the Survey loads from the inbox, images show up in the correct location on their first load (if we toggle the relevant question again, then multiple images will still display...)

Hopefully this is fixed soon, adding relevant questions to every image question on every survey only to receive confusing behavior is not ideal. 

Farley
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hot fix just dropped today 7/1

An incremental release of Survey123 to address the following issues is available:

• BUG-000168654 Unable to add images in the Inbox (empty & multiline)
  • BUG-000168720 Unable to submit surveys with attachments when using referenced feature services
SMH-Rio
New Contributor III

Even with this hot fix, file type questions still have the same problem (image type has been resolved).

Do you know if there are any bugs registered specifically for file type questions? (I use ArcGIS Enterprise, and tested it on Android with version 3.20.68)

0 Kudos
AlexUreAl
New Contributor II
In my case I have the same problem and it is important to have an immediate solution!
0 Kudos