Data validation in the field

10-24-2019 06:32 AM
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Hi, we use a Survey123 form for soil tracking on construction sites. Our most critical info is the truck licence plate. Since we allow field workers to copy an existing record as a new record, is there a way to check that the licence plate question was updated in the copied record ? Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rene,

There isn't a way in Survey123 to compare values across different submissions. 

One possible workaround would be to require a photo of the license plate to make sure that it's captured correctly, or if there's an asset barcode on the truck, to scan that.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe have a Start type field.  Then compare this to today. If it is today then set the license plate to ''?  Might need to use a once() to make sure it does not change.

Not sure if Start will change on a copy?

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Just tested. A copy wont change the Start, but it will change the End. so how would it be set? Would you set that condition in the Default column? if not(now() = End) then licence= ?. I know my syntax is wrong...

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could add that check to the relevant somehow.  That is how I "blanked out" fields in the past.  The hard part is there is no way to "keep value" since that would be a dependency loop.

Now I am thinking 

Have a field with a calc of once(now())

Then have a field calc on a question Enter new plate Yes/No and calc the yes or no based on above

Then have your license field relevant on the Yes/No

That is all I can think of.  

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Doug, I will try something and let you know!

0 Kudos