Data not loading on Data tab in Survey123 online

Jump to solution
03-23-2021 02:53 AM
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Suddenly at the end of last week, the data view tab in survey123.arcgis.com stopped loading data and is  showing the loading icon constantly.  This is happening for a set of 10 different surveys, but not for a couple other surveys I created previously.

I can view the data in AGOL via Content > survey folder > feature layer > data so I know it's going through, but other users need to be able to view, edit, and export data from Survey123 online.

I cleared my Chrome browser cache and it hasn't resolved the issue.

Reviewing previous posts, I do not have any select_one fields with only one option in any of these surveys.

I've unshared the surveys & results with the testing permission group, deleted the stakeholder feature layer, and re-shared with the group to recreate the stakeholder feature layer, which seemed to fix it temporarily but now data is loading inconsistently again.  It seems if I click around to different tabs (Overview, Collaborate, Data), sometimes the data eventually loads in the Data tab, but it never loads when going directly to the Data for a survey from My Surveys.

Attached:  screenshot of Data tab hanging 
Survey123 version 3.11.164
Survey123 Connect version 3.11.123

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @SaraMiller ,

I can reproduce the issue by using the XLSForm file and confirm it is the same issue  BUG-000138475 mentioned above.

We will fix the issue in the next 3.13 release (planned in June). Before the fix, please use either alternate solution instead.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,

Zhifang

View solution in original post

21 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@SaraMiller  Can you share a HAR file? https://www.medianova.com/en-blog/2019/07/15/a-step-by-step-guide-to-generating-a-har-file   This would allow an easier diagnosis of the problem.

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi Ismael,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Is the attached file helpful?

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @SaraMiller ,

It turns out there is only one network request info in your attached .har file. To save all requests which helps our investigation, can you please:

1. In Chrome, open the developer tools, switch to the Network panel
  2. Refresh the Data page
  3. On any request in the Network panel, right click, “Save all as HAR with content". Please see the attached image.

In addition,

1. Can you please check if your survey is similar to the case "first question in the survey is a note question AND followed by a group or repeat AND all questions in the group or repeat"? This is a known bug, it can also be confirmed by trying the workaround mentioned in the bug description.
  2. Can you please confirm the issue only occurs since the last week but never happens before? We had a small update to the Survey123 website yesterday but there is no update in the last week.

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Thanks for getting back to me, ZhifangWang.  I've tried to attached multiple HAR files from different surveys but they're all >45,000KB so the uploader won't accept them.  Is there some other way I can get these to you?

Yes, all of these surveys are set to pages style using groups with a field-list appearance, and all of them start with an introduction section page(s) with note fields.  So the first field for each app is a 'begin group' followed by 'note'. 

To implement the bug solution, do I have to do both things listed, e.g., add a non-note question as well as use the URL to make the Data tab load?  If I were to add a non-note field at the beginning, would it be before or after row 2 'begin group' or row 3 'note'?  Would a hidden field be okay to use, and would it be okay to make this field null for fieldType, or does it need to appear in the feature table?

Yes, the issue only started a couple weeks ago, around the end of the w/c 15th March, but I'm not sure what exact date.

I have attached a copy of one of the survey forms.

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

survey form attached

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @SaraMiller , 

Upload the .har file to a storge service e.g. OneDrive and share the URL with us or send/attach the XLSForm file can both help us to investigate. It seems that you forgot to attach the XLSForm file in your last reply.

If your case is the same as the known bug, either the alternate solution can confirm or fix the issue. I recommend you try with the URL one which is easier to test. If it is the case, the non-note question can be hidden so it will not affect end users.

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi @ZhifangWang 

Using the URL https://survey123.arcgis.com/surveys/<itemID>/analyze?filter=(0.objectid%20isGreaterThan%200) successfully loads the Analyze tab.

Using the URL https://survey123.arcgis.com/surveys/<itemID>/data?filter=(0.objectid%20isGreaterThan%200) successfully loads the Data tab.

The sample XLSForm is now attached.

Here is a OneDrive link to a Troubleshooting folder with HAR files in it, but I'm not sure our security settings will allow external access.

Sara

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @SaraMiller ,

I can reproduce the issue by using the XLSForm file and confirm it is the same issue  BUG-000138475 mentioned above.

We will fix the issue in the next 3.13 release (planned in June). Before the fix, please use either alternate solution instead.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,

Zhifang

SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Thank you for your help, and for getting the bug fixed in the next release.  

Kind regards,

Sara

0 Kudos