Data Lost When Saved as Draft

07-05-2018 05:40 PM
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi all, I've found since I've updated the Survey123 App on my phone (iPhone 8 using 11.3.1), that some surveys saved as a draft often lose some data when I re-edit the survey (but not all), this occurs quite regularly with my version of the Survey123 app (2.8.2). It didn’t seem to be an issue with the previous version that I was using (not sure of the version). A colleague using an iPhone 7 and IOS 11.4 is having the same issue. It's slightly random which values get lost, and sometimes on re-editing again, some values re-appear.

0 Kudos
41 Replies
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hey Geoff. After discussions with Hui yesterday I had a bit of a play with some of our forms. It turns out that if u save a form as a draft, then open it again, any data that appears missing is in fact still there and will save/upload fine. I also tried editing the form, including apparent “missing” fields and they saved fine as well. So there’s actually no danger of losing any data. But it would still be nice to get this fixed!

Jon

0 Kudos
ScottBailey3
New Contributor III

As per Francisco, (thanks to google translate), I checked and the clearing of the first record in a repeat after reopening the form only occurs when there is a 'relevant' condition set within the repeat which is calculated from outside the repeat. 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Please note that we have added a fix for records not appearing in the first repeat when made relevant and accessed through sent, drafts, outbox, and Inbox. It is available for testing through the Beta version on EAC: Welcome to our Feedback Community 

LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having the same problem. Data in first repeat is lost when the survey is reopened from Drafts or Outbox. It's only data in relevant fields (which is just about all of them), and all are referenced within the repeat. The repeat also includes a date/time field, with default set to now(). That gets reset too, to the current date/time (ugh).

I just saw the blog post https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/08/30/minor-update-to-survey123-available-augu..., which states that this problem has been resolved.  So I:

• confirmed that we are on the latest version of the ios app (3.0.149)
  • installed the latest version of Connect (3.0.142)
  • republished surveys
  • downloaded "updated" surveys to ipad

Nada.  It's still deleting/resetting relevant fields in the first repeat.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Just an update on the original issue you posted, we have fixed the issue with values being lost when opening from Drafts, Inbox or Sent box, when using repeats and nested repeats. Can you please test out the latest 3.5 beta builds to see if this fixes the problem with your surveys and provide any feedback.

Latest 3.5 beta builds are here: New Survey123 3.5 Beta Builds Announcement on EAC

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, sorry for the delay, I needed to find a PC that didn’t already have Survey123 installed. The good news is that it seems to be fixed, our issue was with a constraint, and it seems to work fine now with the beta version thanks.

Jon Marks | Senior Analyst, Environmental Science

GREATER WELLINGTON REGIONAL COUNCIL

Te Pane Matua Taiao

2 Fryatt Quay, Pipitea | Wellington 6011

T: 04 830 4140 | M: 027 609 8912

www.gw.govt.nz

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great, thanks for the feedback Jon.

0 Kudos
LarryWiebe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

I have a survey exhibiting this issue in 3.9...  I have a question in the main survey asking how many piles are being installed, the create a limit on the repeat to the number of piles...  If saved as a draft or outbox part way through, when reopened, any data entered in not saved or sent to the server...  I also have a constraint within the repeat that that checks the pile number is not larger than the number of piles being installed...

I tested removing the constraint, still have the issue...

Thanks,

Larry

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Larry,

Can you provide a copy of your xslx form file so we can take a closer look. This issue should have been addressed as mentioned above, so would need to take a look at your specific survey to understand what is going on.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos